Ecodesign stoves

I’m curious about the new “Ecodesign” stoves and would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of them. What are they like in use compared to an older design?

Can they be shut down as much as older stoves or are the air controls much more restricted to hit the prescribed emission targets? 

I came across this article on a stove manufacturer’s website and they seem to have a very dim view of the standard. Interesting they mention problems with lighting and smoke spillage; presumably the flueways/baffles are more convoluted to allow for a more efficient and complete burn. 

Information regarding Eco Design on Clearview Stoves

Cheers

Edited by Dazza95
Forgot link to article.

2 minutes ago, Dazza95 said:

I’m curious about the new “Ecodesign” stoves and would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of them. What are they like in use compared to an older design?

Can they be shut down as much as older stoves or are the air controls much more restricted to hit the prescribed emission targets? 

I came across this article on a stove manufacturer’s website and they seem to have a very dim view of the standard. Interesting they mention problems with lighting and smoke spillage; presumably the flueways/baffles are more convoluted to allow for a more efficient and complete burn. 

Cheers

I dunno but could be a " cat " restricting the initial draw . Like having a Jackdaw nest in the flu 😀

Edited by Stubby
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Stubby said:

I dunno but could be a " cat " restricting the initial draw . Like having a Jackdaw nest in the flu 😀

I haven’t seen many catalytic stoves on the UK market although I know they exist, they seem very popular in the US.  The “cat” stoves over there have a bypass for initial lighting. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Eco Design regulations are a Europe wide initiative to increase heating efficiency and reduce emissions of green house gases.   They came into effect in the UK in Jan 22 after several years of warning,  the stove manufactures have all complied with the regulations,  except Clearview.

In 2014 the building regulations changed,  the minimum level of stove efficiency was raised from 55% to 65% and the maximum levels of emissions were reduced.  All stoves had to be independently tested and have a CE plate affixed to it.     ASs far as I am aware Clearview did not by and large comply with these regulations,  they were the only one.

In 2022 the Eco Design regs increased minimum efficiency levels to 75%, and further reduced maximum emissions levels.   There is another level proposed planned for 2025 moving efficiency to 80% and dropping emissions further still..

A 2022 compliant stove will be far more efficient than a stove designed even 10 years ago,   have a look at the Stove Industry Alliance web site and social media platforms.

STOVEINDUSTRYALLIANCE.COM

As far as I am aware Clearview stoves are NOT 2022 compliant,  most are not 2014 CE marked either,   no efficiency levels are advised on their web site,  this is a requirement.     There may now be issues with Hetas signing them off as safe to use as they are not proven to be compliant with the current regualtions.

To answer quickly your other points,

A,  You will NOT be able to close an Ecodesign stove down to the same level as you could an older dirtier less efficient one,   2022 stoves are deisgned to by ultra clean burning,  some oxygen is always being introduced into the firebox.

B,  I have read the Clearview statements on their website,  its odd that the rest of the industry Europe wide take a totally opposite view and this can be backed up with independent scientific proof.

C, Fellow stove retailers I talk to with Clearview accounts are walking away from them, cant get stock, poor support, one lady I spoke to this week has not had a single delivery this year yet. 

My best advice to you is to go to your local independent stove retailer and get hands on with a Charnwood, Arada, Morso,  Esse or Heta.     Their are other decent brands but many are made in China or eastern europe or assembled in the UK from a kit of parts made in those places.      The first five I have given you i act for and know that their products are built from scratch in the UK or Denmark with a possible exception of an odd model.

A

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/05/2022 at 11:11, Dazza95 said:

I haven’t seen many catalytic stoves on the UK market although I know they exist, they seem very popular in the US.  The “cat” stoves over there have a bypass for initial lighting. 

Esse have cats in their 105 and similar models,    cant be used with solid fuel though as they block.

Several companies are testing them as we speak.

A

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alycidon said:

The Eco Design regulations are a Europe wide initiative to increase heating efficiency and reduce emissions of green house gases.   They came into effect in the UK in Jan 22 after several years of warning,  the stove manufactures have all complied with the regulations,  except Clearview.

In 2014 the building regulations changed,  the minimum level of stove efficiency was raised from 55% to 65% and the maximum levels of emissions were reduced.  All stoves had to be independently tested and have a CE plate affixed to it.     ASs far as I am aware Clearview did not by and large comply with these regulations,  they were the only one.

In 2022 the Eco Design regs increased minimum efficiency levels to 75%, and further reduced maximum emissions levels.   There is another level proposed planned for 2025 moving efficiency to 80% and dropping emissions further still..

A 2022 compliant stove will be far more efficient than a stove designed even 10 years ago,   have a look at the Stove Industry Alliance web site and social media platforms.

As far as I am aware Clearview stoves are NOT 2022 compliant,  most are not 2014 CE marked either,   no efficiency levels are advised on their web site,  this is a requirement.     There may now be issues with Hetas signing them off as safe to use as they are not proven to be compliant with the current regualtions.

A,  You will NOT be able to close an Ecodesign stove down to the same level as you could an older dirtier less efficient one,   2022 stoves are deisgned to by ultra clean burning,  some oxygen is always being introduced into the firebox.

B,  I have read the Clearview statements on their website,  its odd that the rest of the industry Europe wide take a totally opposite view and this can be backed up with independent scientific proof.

C, Fellow stove retailers I talk to with Clearview accounts are walking away from them, cant get stock, poor support, one lady I spoke to this week has not had a single delivery this year yet. 

My best advice to you is to go to your local independent stove retailer and get hands on with a Charnwood, Arada, Morso,  Esse or Heta.     Their are other decent brands but many are made in China or eastern europe or assembled in the UK from a kit of parts made in those places.      The first five I have given you i act for and know that their products are built from scratch in the UK or Denmark with a possible exception of an odd model.

A

Vision 500 bought October 2015

84BB1FC6-4005-459C-AF84-761250104E5F.jpeg

Edited by slim reaper
Wrong date
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Alycidon said:

A

What are your thoughts on Jotul?

8 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

What are your thoughts on Jotul?

Used to be a good stove but let down by some poor design features,  not quite the best but not to far behind.

No personal experience of their latest models,  I am not a dealer for them but I have heard nothing bad in the trade about them.     

Again go to your local dealer, get hands on with one and see what you like.

A

• Like 3

I have a Jotul 373 Advance. Very happy with it. There is a screw you can remove if you don't want it to comply with European regs. Very high build quality ( and price !). The airwash system works well to keep the glass clean and when using nice dry ash, the secondary gasification burn is very impressive and entertaining to watch. 

Only downside - it is a bit of a pain to strip it and clean...

Edited by KH1

45 minutes ago, slim reaper said:

Vision 500 bought October 2015

84BB1FC6-4005-459C-AF84-761250104E5F.jpeg

Well thats a step in the right direction,  CE marked, so 2014 compliant but only 71.6% efficient so not good enough for Eco Design 2022,  this needs 75% but given some internal tweaking that may be achievable if there was a desire to do so at Clearview.     Nice clear plate as well,  some are far worse than that.  

They are I understand required to state the efficiency on the web site and at a point of sale.

Edited by Alycidon