Leylandi Cypress Health

Leylandii don’t really like being transplanted as they get older.

Very often clients ask for bigger plants to give instant screening, but they don’t take.

I have had experience of insurance jobs where we’ve put bigger plants (like yours) in and they died.

You'd have been better off starting with smaller (1 to 1.5 meters) plants from pots, without removing the lower branches.

My guess is they’ll all perish.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

If its water, the issue is that no matter how careful you are, transplanting causes a lot of damage to the thinnest parts of the root system. Capacity to take up water hasn't been challenged until the sun comes out and ground dries out, hence why they are in trouble now.

You say twice a week but how much water? They will need gallons and gallons, I guess the only thing you can try is increase the quantity, you need to get the water to soak as deep into the ground as possible. Also mulch around the bases with woodchip, it will help retain it.

Then if they don't survive rip them out in the autumn like Mick says.

33 minutes ago, VincentValentine said:

They were root balled. Bought them from paramountplants. They came with the lower half trimmed, purposely.

Im not being funny but you did remove the plastic or fabric sack that they probably arrived in?

It does look like lack of water as others have suggested. As also suggested they aren't going to make any kind of decent hedge. I'd pull them out, plant more a bit further away from the fence to not piss the neighbours off. Unless they don't mind like. 

Leylandii hedges are the root of many a neighborly dispute but then again so are plenty of other tree species.

41 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

You say twice a week but how much water? They will need gallons and gallons, I guess the only thing you can try is increase the quantity, you need to get the water to soak as deep into the ground as possible. Also mulch around the bases with woodchip, it will help retain it.

A good 30 seconds on each root base. I mulched the base when I planted them back in feb.

28 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Im not being funny but you did remove the plastic or fabric sack that they probably arrived in?

I didn't remove the hessian around the root ball no. I read its biodegradable and should stay on.

When we plant hedges we'll always put a leaky hose down too. Tell the customer to leave it on for a couple of hours once or twice a week depending on the weather.

Single trees always put a piece of perforated land drain down the side so the water gets down to where it's needed. 

30 secs of watering is just going to run off the surface. 

I'd dig down the side and put a piece of pipe in. Then water for a good 5 mins on each one twice a week. Depending on the weather of course. Your's might have gone too far to make it though but got two chances. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawsons Groundcare said:

When we plant hedges we'll always put a leaky hose down too. Tell the customer to leave it on for a couple of hours once or twice a week depending on the weather.

Single trees always put a piece of perforated land drain down the side so the water gets down to where it's needed. 

30 secs of watering is just going to run off the surface. 

I'd dig down the side and put a piece of pipe in. Then water for a good 5 mins on each one twice a week. Depending on the weather of course. Your's might have gone too far to make it though but got two chances. 

I guess I can try increasing the water intake then. I'll keep the thread updated. Hopefully there's a chance as the dryness hasn't consumed the whole tree yet.

57 minutes ago, VincentValentine said:

A good 30 seconds on each root base. I mulched the base when I planted them back in feb.

I didn't remove the hessian around the root ball no. I read its biodegradable and should stay on.

30 secs will do nothing for a plant that size have you ever held your garden hose into a pot for 30 secs doesn't fill up much. 

And yes you need to remove the hessian as it is holding the rootball too tightly and probably constricting the tiny roots that supply most of the water and nutrients to the tree. 

Leylandii is possibly the worst tree anyone could plant in a garden, do yourself a favour and plant something nicer. 

1 hour ago, VincentValentine said:

I think that maybe the problem. Nowhere near enough water. 

I'm going back nearly 30 years(so advice may have changed a bit) but in my horticulture lessons leaving sacks or any kind of transport container in place was a big no no. I dunno if you can dig them up and remove it but it doesn't look like you have much to loose.

As above, 30 secs of watering will probably wet the first few inches of soil at best.