Leylandi Cypress Health

Good afternoon all,

I have 5 newly planted Leyland cypress trees. Recently they have started to show signs of deteriorating, by way of yellowing, drying out and sap weep. The yellowing appears to be starting from the inside up. 

The trees took some bark damage during the crazy winds we had back in January? February? Cant remember now, but this was caused by friction on the support steaks. I put some biodegradable tape over the damaged areas to prevent infestation but I cant say for sure if its worked. The tress have grown since I planted them, I trimmed the tops in early march and they grown further since then too. But now this discolouring is worrying me and I'm afraid of losing them to a disease.

I water them once or twice a week. Less so when it rains.

In any case, I am hoping someone can tell me what they think the issue might be, if there is an issue, and what I can do about.

Regards,

Vincent

20220506_125220.jpg

20220506_125353.jpg

20220506_125001.jpg

20220506_125006.jpg

20220506_125033.jpg

20220506_125112.jpg

20220506_125126.jpg

20220506_125143.jpg

A leylandii out in the middle of nowhere, allowed to do its own thing, is a beautiful thing. Squashed up against someone's house like that is just plain cruel, and five of them... the poor things. 

You won't maintain them, they will escape, and someone will have to pay to remove them when they become a problem (if someone could post a link to the other current thread where this is being discussed, that'd be great).

Seems okay though, looks like yours are dying, so problem solved. Get rid of them, and replant with something more suitable to the location. 

26 minutes ago, peds said:

A leylandii out in the middle of nowhere, allowed to do its own thing, is a beautiful thing. Squashed up against someone's house like that is just plain cruel, and five of them... the poor things. 

You won't maintain them, they will escape, and someone will have to pay to remove them when they become a problem (if someone could post a link to the other current thread where this is being discussed, that'd be great).

Seems okay though, looks like yours are dying, so problem solved. Get rid of them, and replant with something more suitable to the location. 

The intension is to create a reasonable privacy hedge which I will maintain. I had the same trees in my previous property and managed them very well. I understand peoples dismay but I have good reason for planting them. 

So it looks like they're dying, but why is that?

I don't understand you guys hating on the leylandii, I love the stuff. Keeps me in plenty of work. I must spend 1 day a fortnight dealing with them in one way or another.
Maybe you will manage them if not one of us will in the future!
Long live the leylandii!

• Like 2

I don't understand you guys hating on the leylandii, I love the stuff. Keeps me in plenty of work. I must spend 1 day a fortnight dealing with them in one way or another.
Maybe you will manage them if not one of us will in the future!
Long live the leylandii!

yes they do bring us work but I hate the things. They make me itch....the will just grow to be horrible monsters, the neighbours will hate you.....there must be better things to plant that give bio diversity......did you buy them?