Loncin leak...

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

Our wee chippette has developed an oil leak which seems to be around the drive side of the engine judging from the dirt it attracts in that area.

It isn't from the oil drain plug.

Any ideas?

The kitchen roll is there absorbing oil.

Stuart

IMG_20220505_151754.jpg

IMG_20220505_151744.jpg

IMG_20220505_193405.jpg

IMG_20220505_193324.jpg

Looks like it’s weeping from the timing gear cover, make sure all the bolts are nipped up first, failing that pop the timing cover off, clean both surfaces and use a new gasket or a sealant and nip back up.

• Like 3

Looks like it’s weeping from the timing gear cover, make sure all the bolts are nipped up first, failing that pop the timing cover off, clean both surfaces and use a new gasket or a sealant and nip back up.
Absolutely. I have a 15hp loncin on a flail mower. A fair amount of vibration especially when I've knocked one of the blades off. Anyway it had always weeped oil a little but didn't worry about it, til suddenly the oil was pouring out of the engine. I thought I'd cracked the crankcase or something. All the timing case bolts were practically on their last threads and I could waggle the case around.
Lesson learnt on the routine checking of all bolts.
  • Like 3