When to replace bar tip?

Muddy42

Yeah....but....

The outside of the bar is what it is. It's the inside working bearing you need to see but of course you can't. The only thing you might gleen some info from is the sprocket (not the nose assembly but the actual sprocket), so chain off and inspect down to the root of tooth form. Look for coloured steel indicating heat.

I'm guessing your planning on running it anyway.

1) Cross cutting would be a safer way to assess the nose sprocket assy and build confidence.

2) Your milling attacement is still too close to the nose bearing IMHO. There is a void just back from the bearing, where the sprocket teeth would run. CIamp into solid metal back from this void.

• Like 4

Yeah....but....
The outside of the bar is what it is. It's the inside working bearing you need to see but of course you can't. The only thing you might gleen some info from is the sprocket (not the nose assembly but the actual sprocket), so chain off and inspect down to the root of tooth form. Look for coloured steel indicating heat.

I'm guessing your planning on running it anyway.
1) Cross cutting would be a safer way to assess the nose sprocket assy and build confidence.
2) Your milling attacement is still too close to the nose bearing IMHO. There is a void just back from the bearing, where the sprocket teeth would run. CIamp into solid metal back from this void.

Thanks, yes I have had the chain off to inspect once everything was really clean. I couldnt see any coloured steel down there. Very hard to photograph for you.

Yes I agree regarding clamping position. The mill is only loosely bolted for storage (no scabbard) and while I sort my oiling system.

I have milled since the burn marks, with no issues. I am only reconsidering this given the high cost of a replacement tip.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Have you and rough hewn been swapping saw maintainance tips?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your workshop Khris .

Still awaiting your big redwood felling shots from Canada , or was it BC ? K

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Still awaiting your big redwood felling shots from Canada , or was it BC ? K

BC is in Canada and Red Woods are native to California.Do a bit of searching on here Khris and you will find the pictures you are seeking, I have showed them numerous times.

You realise the Halfords socket set under the divan in your bedsit isn't a workshop right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 07/05/2022 at 21:12, josharb87 said:

If it’s spinning freely and without play I’d continue to use it. Change the tip when it fails.

Thanks.  I think I will do this and treat it with caution.  I clean the bar and chain every time I use it, which isn't much as a 120cc saw is really only for milling.

Don't get me wrong, thanks to everyone who offered advice, I know what to look out for now.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 15:46, Mike Hill said:

BC is in Canada and Red Woods are native to California.Do a bit of searching on here Khris and you will find the pictures you are seeking, I have showed them numerous times.

You realise the Halfords socket set under the divan in your bedsit isn't a workshop right?

The depth of your ignorant rambling baffles me , but hey keep on with it , must work for you out there...sadly - K

3 hours ago, Khriss said:

The depth of your ignorant rambling baffles me , but hey keep on with it , must work for you out there...sadly - K

Khris

If your reply was a beam of light travelling across the galaxy at 25,000 kilometers per hour. Great civilisations would rise and fall, entire ecosystems evolve, flourish only to become extinct, great works of literature penned praise and forgotten.

All before anyone knew what the fcuk you are on about .

• Like 1