Novice: top or rear handle 18v Makita for occasional use?

EdGreen

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

If I had known about the motorbike suit from the beginning I would have recommended the top handled saw 

It'd the oldest trick in the book, every so often the admin team on a forum will make up a bogus username and post controversial threads. Probably by russian teenage hackers. Helps keep the overall post count up, and the adverts ticking over.

Few weeks ago it was something about ivy.

A year or so back there was a strange "window cleaner"

etc

etc

:nurse:

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, scbk said:

It'd the oldest trick in the book, every so often the admin team on a forum will make up a bogus username and post controversial threads. Probably by russian teenage hackers. Helps keep the overall post count up, and the adverts ticking over.

Few weeks ago it was something about ivy.

A year or so back there was a strange "window cleaner"

etc

etc

:nurse:

BBE6BFD2-0FF9-46B9-9149-0CE75A5F44A4.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 04/05/2022 at 19:59, EdGreen said:

Hello folks, I have five extremely large leylandii trees out back, which have never been cut back since being planted around 40 years ago. You can imagine how overgrown they are! Neighbours are complaining light is being blocked, so I need to sort it. I've recently been made redundant, so cannot afford the services of a professional. I am in my late 30s, fit and healthy, not afraid of heights.

I already have Makita kit for DIY, so it makes sense to buy one of their electric saws. 

Question is do I go for a top handle model or a rear handle model? I read the advantages and disadvantages of both, but wonder what's more relevant in the real world.

(A) = rear handle model https://makitauk.com/product/duc305z

• 1,100 watts
  • 5.3kg weight with 2 batts
  • 30cm bar

(B) = top handle model 

• 800 watts
  • 4.7kg weight with 2 batts
  • 30 cm bar

I have a commercial 7.5m ladder with a stabiliser T bar at the bottom, which I will rope to the tree. 

Plan is to go up the ladder, cutting off various branches on the way up (have watched various YouTube safety videos and the dangers of branches springing back, not wearing the right PPE etc. so not going into this totally blind), once I get as I high as I can I will see if I can top it off.

Once I get down, whatever I have cut off will need to be cut into pieces to take down to the tip.

With the task in mind, which of these two is the better option for me?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Makita.jpg

Hello fella

I can only give you my 2pence worth.

If a professional arborist quoted you £1300, then that's for a reason.

I first joined here as a guy a did a cinema install for had a lot of trees he wanted clearing in his land, and said I could fell them, and have all the wood.......great stuff!

I was looking at a £100 saw, that came with 2 bars, 4 chains and some ppe.

I got loads of advice from the pro guys on here, and ended up with a husky 135mk2 (£215) but then also purchased some CHAINSAW PPE, helmet, ear defenders, visor, trousers, gloves & boots, these were roughly £200, so all in all we are up to over £400.

My main intention was for firewood, and to learn how to safely use a chainsaw. 

I got lucky and a decent bloke on here @spuddog0507 agreed to teach me how to use a saw safely, do maintenance, and forward my knowledge on timber, and saws.

At that point I realised that felling trees, was WAY WAY WAY above my skillset, so gave it a miss and the guy in question got a clearance team in to level the lot, thankfully!

@spuddog0507 was proper  strict with me, but in all fairness, his explanation was if those teeth can do that to wood, what will they do to you...........  The saw will take my leg off, without a shadow of a doubt, hence buying the correct PPE, and listening to spud.

I used to race bikes, so still have some kevlar jeans, i thought would stand their ground, if processing firewood, crosscutting....WRONG!

I have been with @spuddog0507 and @Ratman when they felled a tree and dealt with it.  It looks easy on all the youtube clips etc, but when any professional does a job it will look easy.  They are professionals, have the correct kit, know what they are doing, and do this day in, day out.

What ****************s the job up, is when homeowners come along and think they can cut down a tree (ME 6 MONTHS AGO!) then they realise, the saw cost is one thing, safety gear is another, and every day is a school day, even for some of the most experienced of arborists.

If your out of work currently, then I certainly feel for you, and your need to occupy your time, but seriously, paint the bedroom, bathroom, or lounge.  It will cost you less, and most likely save your life.

I understand so, so much more now, and im still a diy, weekend warrior with a chainsaw.  I just have good people willing to show me their skill set, and to teach me how not to kill myself.

I ask you this......

Do you value your leg above £1300?

Your life above £1300?

Then either take some time with a pro, or hire a pro

Its just not so simple as "cut it down"

Thats my 2pence worth, from someone that knows **************** all, but is learning everyday im with the pro guys.

Crosscut, split, stack, maintain the saw.

I wish you all the best in finding employment.

Steve

Edited by Steven1210
spelling
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

If I had known about the motorbike suit from the beginning I would have recommended the top handled saw 

And maybe a camera crew. It sounds like a clip from. You've Been F̶r̶a̶m̶e̶d̶ Maimed.

Edited by Moose McAlpine

On 07/05/2022 at 20:29, EdGreen said:

Hi guys, I thought I'd return to update and / or amuse you.

With a 6.5m ladder, and a cheapy Oregon pole saw I made some decent progress. I managed to cut branches about 2/3 of the way up. I cleaned up a good portion of the trunk:

IBB.CO

Image CCC hosted in ImgBB

And those of you who said the branches don't look like much when on the tree, but when you get them on the ground, its a different story 😲 are absolutely correct!

IBB.CO

Image BBB hosted in ImgBB

One key issue is that the tree is leaning at an angle. I tried to demonstrate how bad it is by hanging a cam buckle off a cut tree branch end, as close to the trunk as possible

IBB.CO

Image AAA hosted in ImgBB

Serious question - when I am climbing up it, given the lean, what is the chance the tree could topple when I am near the top of it? I'm not massively heavy, 11 stone, but still. 

In heavy wind, I noticed that the soil around the tree moves slightly, which suggests to me the roots aren't very strong or well embedded into the soil. If the tree was solid, I wouldn't have much of an issuer climbing it, but given the fact this one is a leaner and seems to move at the bottom in heavy winds is a bit of a concern. View? 

In terms of PPE, when I go up there I have a helmet, goggles, rubber gripper gloves and a motorbike suite made from cordura which I bought at a car boot. Not the same as your gear, appreciate that, but it is better than ordinary DIY clothes. 

Any tips appreciated. I definitely have lots to learn.

Watch out for pigeons perching up there. They might send the whole thing over 😆 

Hello guys, I trust you're all well. To answer couple questions:

1. No this is not a windup. I just have a different way of doing things, and am willing to tackle jobs most people would not. Higher risk tolerance I would say, higher levels of stupidity some of you would shout back, but hey-ho

2. There were no pigeons or squirrels nesting on the tree that I had worked on. Could have been, grateful for the FYI

3. My only outlay so far has been a £70 Oegon pole saw and £6 on some chain oil. And yes, I stood on the shed (I built it, roof is 18mm OSD3, it is solid), and whatever I managed to reach off it, I cut with the pole saw, before going up on the ladder and using an old corded (yes, corded), reciprocal saw

4. Reason I didn't cut the branches all the way back is that used them to hang tool on as I went up (loppers, for example)

5. I managed to get a good 25ft up, using the branches that I cut as a sort of a ladder. Very slowly, very carefully. It is not that bad

6. In any event, what I had cut and chucked down occupied a bit of space. And I haven't gotten to the thickest branches yet. In this regard, I have asked for a number of different companies for a quote to see what they say.

If it is more to my liking, I will let them do it and will help with dragging branches to the wood chipper and so on. If it is still more expensive that I am able to afford, then I will start a new thread asking for PPE requirements! ;)