Novice: top or rear handle 18v Makita for occasional use?

EdGreen

Yup, if the OP had said "going to climb a ladder and take the lower branches off, what do you reckon, bow saw or chainsaw" this thread would be going a different direction, probably "Yup, go for it, be safe", but OP went to ask about a chainsaw to climb the tree with and chop off the top bits... which in terms of their safety is a different matter - as we can see OP has managed to do the lower branches safely and all is OK.

• Like 1

I think it's because he has come onto a site for professional tree surgeons asking how to cut down a tree cheaper than the quote he had been given. Would people go on a forum for plumbers or electricians asking how to do jobs because they thought the quote was too high???the quote given For tree work usually reflects the years of experience of the tree surgeon and the cost of training, insurance, equipment, waste disposal etc.....why do we entertain this type of post when I doubt other professional trades would??

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I think there is a fair amount of confusion regarding this site being for ‘pros’… There might be a couple on here, but they are definitely in the minority!

Excellent point. This site has suffered over the years where very vocal members who have no links to to climbing or forestry have driven off some really skilled and knowledgeable members just through spamming every thread with the same rubbish. Bad craic where you have people with no climbing or cutting experience offering their advice on here as gospel.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

I think there is a fair amount of confusion regarding this site being for ‘pros’… There might be a couple on here, but they are definitely in the minority!

Remember, to be a professional you don't have to be good at it, you just have to be paid for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hodge said:

I think it's because he has come onto a site for professional tree surgeons asking how to cut down a tree cheaper than the quote he had been given. Would people go on a forum for plumbers or electricians asking how to do jobs because they thought the quote was too high???the quote given I. Tree work usually reflects the years experience or the tree surgeon and the cost of training, insurance, equipment, waste disposal etc.....why do we entertain this type of post when I doubt other professional trades would??

That's why I thought it must be a wind up . 

That's why I thought it must be a wind up . 

Unfortunately Stubby I have come across this guys type before and that leads me to believe it's genuine.

They can't see that how they are going about things will offend a professional. I've been called out to a tree that the owner had tried to fell himself after watching YouTube but he had not taken into account the weight of the tree and the forces at play. I had to them sort it out. I had given a quote but he found it too much for just a tree......it cost him more in the end.

I've been to look at threes where the owner has told me he's into rock climbing and will take the tree down himself as he's good with ropes.......can I just come and do what he can't manage, and tidy up??

I have seen a guy dig out foundations himself and take 3 weekends of going back and forth to the tip with bags of soil only to be told by the builder that's he had dug far too much out and that it's going to cost double the groundwork quote now as they need to back fill. The story's go on and on. There is a saying....a little knowledge can be dangerous.....I think it fits this situation quite well.

• Like 5

id say its a wind up, all the rational questions , correct terms , indepth disscussions!!

it doesnt add up as the idea of  going up a 25ft ladder with a polesaw and no harness in order to dismantle the tree is plain daft imo!! ( unless ones wearing a motorcycle suit in which case its probably fine) ;)

• Like 1