Novice: top or rear handle 18v Makita for occasional use?

EdGreen

I would add extra on if a customer had started the job as nothing will be cut right and will be a rats nest of shite, also we generally only chip what we have cut for reasons stated above.

• Like 6

OK so to make this a better job for the OP, I reckon he is getting the idea... if not there is no helping some people....

I guess if you assume what you have cut off won't go through the chipper, strip off all the really small stuff and cut the larger parts to 250, 500, 750mm length sticks - multiples of the width of my stove fire box, you should be able to punt them on the internet to someone if the price is right and there is enough to make the trip worthwhile - a 'warehouse DIY' store will sell a cheap axe and a sharpening stone that will do that job OK if needed (a car boot full could fetch about £15 to £20 if you're lucky and sell it - the cost of the axe). What is left, clear out the way for tree surgeon to have clear access. You can put it in the green waste wheelie bin over a few weeks or a couple of trips to the tip with the waste. (Note that you can't ever make a profit or a dent in the felling costs by homeowner selling firewood from their ex-trees)

When you get quotes talk to the guys, and see if there is anything you can do to help and make the job quicker and then cheaper rather than just going ahead and hoping you are doing the right thing. Might be they say "Sure, if you can carry stuff to the chipper, I can do the job with 1 less employee that day", might be they say "To be honest whatever you can do will save about 10 minutes off the whole job, you're better off bringing a steady supply of tea and biscuits". They can see the whole job, from where to park, where to put a chipper and where the trees will be happiest falling and so on and can give better advice than anyone here with photos.

So how to make the job better for the OP. what to do to make it more affordable?

A lot of professionals giving customers grief for "doing some of the work themselves" and leaving branches to be chipped.  I guess much of this work is in rural smoke controlled areas where home owners can't simply have a bonfire? or don't have the skill to get a bonfire going.  Such fun!

4 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

A lot of professionals giving customers grief for "doing some of the work themselves" and leaving branches to be chipped.  I guess much of this work is in rural smoke controlled areas where home owners can't simply have a bonfire? or don't have the skill to get a bonfire going.  Such fun!

No bonfire pretty much anywhere here (France).

All the more incentive for clients to to give it the old “while you’re here with your machine would you mind if…”

• Like 2