Novice: top or rear handle 18v Makita for occasional use?

EdGreen

Good luck to you mate.

I always charge more (or just walk away) if someone has started the job and left a load of crap on the floor for me to deal with.
But you might get lucky.

Of course he will find someone. You’re in a market where £20 an hour is seen as making good coin.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EdGreen said:

I don't get why, if I have done some work myself, I would be charged more? I have piled it on the ground and will take it out to the chipper once I get the go ahead. Doesn't really seem logical to me.....

I can only speak personally.

I don’t know what’s in the pile, I have had countless clients swear blind that it’s all clean wood etc. only to find wire, roots or stones in it. 
I normally only chip what I’ve cut myself.

When a client says ’I’ve started it myself, to keep the price down’ or words to that effect.

I always think ‘well you wasted your time there then’

As I said, you may get someone hungry enough to cut you a deal. 
I’m only telling you how I approach it and every other guy who’s been doing it for a while does as well.

• Like 8

I can only speak personally.

I don’t know what’s in the pile, I have had countless clients swear blind that it’s all clean wood etc. only to find wire, roots or stones in it. 

I normally only chip what I’ve cut myself.

When a client says ’I’ve started it myself, to keep the price down’ or words to that effect.

I always think ‘well you wasted your time there then’

As I said, you may get someone hungry enough to cut you a deal. 

I’m only telling you how I approach it and every other guy who’s been doing it for a while does as well.

I agree with Mick on this.

Most of the time when I have been in this situation the brash is in a big messy heap that I have to fight to get into the chipper or its been cut badly and will need re cutting so it goes through my chipper without getting stuck. It often has stones or wire or other crap in that doesn't go through WOODCHIPPER, the clue is in the name there. Most people wanting me to chip up their crap do not care about my machine that cost 30 grand. If I did agree to chip the pile I would only allow the owner to drag to the chipper but not use the chipper. I've seen some right plonkers over the years and if I hadn't of been there I guess they would have no hands by now. I don't mind people doing stuff themselves but don't waste my time getting me round to quote or wanting me to do bits of the job and expecting me to be cheap.

• Like 6

With respect Ed, all you’ve achieved so far is what any half decent climber would have done in the first five minutes, so don’t expect any zero’s to come tumbling off the quote.

Are you removing them now you’ve started at the bottom, or are you still intent on topping them?

Or an interesting mixture of both?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, EdGreen said:

I don't get why, if I have done some work myself, I would be charged more? I have piled it on the ground and will take it out to the chipper once I get the go ahead. Doesn't really seem logical to me.....

Is that a domino's pizza box on the back of your motorcycle avatar. Might be best sticking to deliveries and leave tree cutting to the professional tree guys.

2 hours ago, EdGreen said:

I quoted for a job to  dispose of a wind blown tree in a blokes garden . The guy said its too much . my gardener will do it . I said fare play , that's fine .  Three weeks later I got a call . " can you come and clear up this tree  my gardener has made a start so should be cheaper than your original quote . Well I thought ok you are a nice bloke I will come back again and have another look . The price I gave him was more than my original quote . The " gardener " had stripped the stick and piled all the brash every wich way and to about 6" long . This is a nightmare to sort and put through the chipper . ( should have stacked it blunt end first and as long as possible ) on top of that there was his ( the gardener ) garden center chain saw stuck in the stick where he had no idea of the tension and compression  involved in the fallen trunk . The job was 2 maybe 3 times as long totally necessarily  because he thought the gardener was helping to keep the cost down .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I quoted for a job to  dispose of a wind blown tree in a blokes garden . The guy said its too much . my gardener will do it . I said fare play , that's fine .  Three weeks later I got a call . " can you come and clear up this tree  my gardener has made a start so should be cheaper than your original quote . Well I thought ok you are a nice bloke I will come back again and have another look . The price I gave him was more than my original quote . The " gardener " had stripped the stick and piled all the brash every wich way and to about 6" long . This is a nightmare to sort and put through the chipper . ( should have stacked it blunt end first and as long as possible ) on top of that there was his ( the gardener ) garden center chain saw stuck in the stick where he had no idea of the tension and compassion involved in the fallen trunk . The job was 2 maybe 3 times as long totally necessarily  because he thought the gardener was helping to keep the cost down .

Tease did you get the job though ?