Novice: top or rear handle 18v Makita for occasional use?

EdGreen

5 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Virtually nil. Don't climb it in a spring wind though.. If it does topple, it will topple slowly, so just relax, bend your knees a bit, and ride it down.

I tend to agree, the biggest risk after being hit on the head is probably you falling or being knocked off your ladder by a branch swing, sounds like none of your PPE is addressing that though. HSE have recently had a real go at tree surgeons because of too many falls from height in the industry.

1 hour ago, Doug Tait said:

It really has come to something when a novice doing their 1st stunt fell of a 40' tree, with a bowsaw in a domestic garden full of targets is the safest suggestion!

true, but he could be 35' up a tree trying to take it down piece by piece.

Breaking a few things in the garden, damages a house perhaps but lives to learn a lesson.. and ends up with a bigger repair bill then the professional doing the job

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 20:29, EdGreen said:

In terms of PPE, when I go up there I have a helmet, goggles, rubber gripper gloves and a motorbike suite made from cordura which I bought at a car boot.

I bet you look like a Power Ranger that's fallen on hard times. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 05/05/2022 at 21:25, Mark Bolam said:

Anyone who has suggested suitable handsaws etc. should hang their heads in shame.

This is a pro site, where amateurs are very welcome to accept (FREE) pro advice.

Why shouldn't a homeowner use a bowsaw to take off the lower branches, even from a ladder if you are careful? I agree some of the things the OP was thinking of (felling from a ladder, climbing with a top handled chainsaw etc.) did sound like an accident waiting to happen, but I admire the OP's effort and willingness to do the grunt work of removing branches.

If this site is only for pros, I better leave now!

No offense intended, I am just standing up for sensible, "have-a-go" DIY-ers.  It is very easy in today's health and safety world to tell people not to climb ladders, not to use a hammer, not to use a sharp saw etc.  But then we end up with a world of obese couch potatoes and kids that don't know how to do basic DIY because they have not helped their Dads at the weekend.

Rant over. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Muddy42 said:

Why shouldn't a homeowner use a bowsaw to take off the lower branches, even from a ladder if you are careful? I agree some of the things the OP was thinking of (felling from a ladder, climbing with a top handled chainsaw etc.) did sound like an accident waiting to happen, but I admire the OP's effort and willingness to do the grunt work of removing branches.

If this site is only for pros, I better leave now!

No offense intended, I am just standing up for sensible, "have-a-go" DIY-ers.  It is very easy in today's health and safety world to tell people not to climb ladders, not to use a hammer, not to use a sharp saw etc.  But then we end up with a world of obese couch potatoes and kids that don't know how to do basic DIY because they have not helped their Dads at the weekend.

Rant over. 

I’ve got no problem with a bit of DIY mate, it’s how most of us probably started!

This is different level out of depthness though.

• Like 3