Novice: top or rear handle 18v Makita for occasional use?

EdGreen

Hi guys, I thought I'd return to update and / or amuse you.

With a 6.5m ladder, and a cheapy Oregon pole saw I made some decent progress. I managed to cut branches about 2/3 of the way up. I cleaned up a good portion of the trunk:

IBB.CO

Image CCC hosted in ImgBB

And those of you who said the branches don't look like much when on the tree, but when you get them on the ground, its a different story 😲 are absolutely correct!

IBB.CO

Image BBB hosted in ImgBB

One key issue is that the tree is leaning at an angle. I tried to demonstrate how bad it is by hanging a cam buckle off a cut tree branch end, as close to the trunk as possible

IBB.CO

Image AAA hosted in ImgBB

Serious question - when I am climbing up it, given the lean, what is the chance the tree could topple when I am near the top of it? I'm not massively heavy, 11 stone, but still. 

In heavy wind, I noticed that the soil around the tree moves slightly, which suggests to me the roots aren't very strong or well embedded into the soil. If the tree was solid, I wouldn't have much of an issuer climbing it, but given the fact this one is a leaner and seems to move at the bottom in heavy winds is a bit of a concern. View? 

In terms of PPE, when I go up there I have a helmet, goggles, rubber gripper gloves and a motorbike suite made from cordura which I bought at a car boot. Not the same as your gear, appreciate that, but it is better than ordinary DIY clothes. 

Any tips appreciated. I definitely have lots to learn.

Edited by EdGreen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good effort, make sure you report on all of your progress here, because you've obviously got an attentive audience now.

Can I ask what kind of shape you are hoping to achieve in the end? Do you want them all on the ground, do you want to keep them at a certain height? If you are keeping them in some form or another, what do you hope for them to look like in a few years time?

• Like 1

I was trying to think constructively while I read it but when I got to the bit about the motorcycle suit from a car boot sale, well.

To the OP, I thought you wanted to chop 3 trees in half and chop the leaning tree nearly down. You appear to have started at the wrong end of the tree, or am I mistaken?

• Haha 1

Whilst not wanting to encourage you in any way for the multiple reasons given by others.....

If you are going to continue then try to cut the branches flush with the trunk.  That way, whoever climbs up the top of the tree is not going to impale themselves on the pegs you are leaving at present.

This is making my palms sweat. You can't put a price on safety and quality of life. It's not worth it pal. One wrong move and it's all over. Don't be an idiot.  The picture of someone climbing up a tree with a bowsaw in a motorbike suit is almost funny, if it wasn't such a scary thought. It'll cost the NHS (and therefore us) a lot more than £1300 for your treatment.

Edited by Dendrologen
  • Like 1

I guess there isn't a lot people can say to change your mind so if you are determined to carry on, ignoring the professional advice (none of them are quoting for your job, none of them are going to make a profit from this advice), maybe take a bit of advice so help keep you out the hospital?

Are you just taking down the one tree and leaving the rest or are they all coming down? Basing this next part that the safest place for you is on the ground and not in a tree. How big are the trees and how close are the nearest obstacles? If you were to take down the fence panel could you fell the tree through those gaps and miss everything? If you did take the panels away, get a new quote and it should be cheaper so long as the tree surgeon is OK to leave dents in the lawns....

Youtube, don't just watch videos of what to do if that is your way of learning, but also look at vidoes of it all going wrong, far more learning opportunities there if you can work out the mistakes.

Last comment, how much have you spent so far? £300 for the saw, £100 for other kit? And your time, 4 or 5 hours to do what you have done so far (including shopping, getting advice and watching youtube? I know the price I put on my leisure time and your costs are approaching half the £1300 quote.....

16 minutes ago, Steven P said:

I guess there isn't a lot people can say to change your mind so if you are determined to carry on, ignoring the professional advice (none of them are quoting for your job, none of them are going to make a profit from this advice), maybe take a bit of advice so help keep you out the hospital?

Are you just taking down the one tree and leaving the rest or are they all coming down? Basing this next part that the safest place for you is on the ground and not in a tree. How big are the trees and how close are the nearest obstacles? If you were to take down the fence panel could you fell the tree through those gaps and miss everything? If you did take the panels away, get a new quote and it should be cheaper so long as the tree surgeon is OK to leave dents in the lawns....

Youtube, don't just watch videos of what to do if that is your way of learning, but also look at vidoes of it all going wrong, far more learning opportunities there if you can work out the mistakes.

Last comment, how much have you spent so far? £300 for the saw, £100 for other kit? And your time, 4 or 5 hours to do what you have done so far (including shopping, getting advice and watching youtube? I know the price I put on my leisure time and your costs are approaching half the £1300 quote.....

It really has come to something when a novice doing their 1st stunt fell of a 40' tree, with a bowsaw in a domestic garden full of targets is the safest suggestion!

Edited by Doug Tait
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, EdGreen said:

Hi guys, I thought I'd return to update and / or amuse you.

With a 6.5m ladder, and a cheapy Oregon pole saw I made some decent progress. I managed to cut branches about 2/3 of the way up. I cleaned up a good portion of the trunk:

IBB.CO

Image CCC hosted in ImgBB

And those of you who said the branches don't look like much when on the tree, but when you get them on the ground, its a different story 😲 are absolutely correct!

IBB.CO

Image BBB hosted in ImgBB

One key issue is that the tree is leaning at an angle. I tried to demonstrate how bad it is by hanging a cam buckle off a cut tree branch end, as close to the trunk as possible

IBB.CO

Image AAA hosted in Img

Serious question - when I am climbing up it, given the lean, what is the chance the tree could topple when I am near the top of it? I'm not massively heavy, 11 stone, but still. 

In heavy wind, I noticed that the soil around the tree moves slightly, which suggests to me the roots aren't very strong or well embedded into the soil. If the tree was solid, I wouldn't have much of an issuer climbing it, but given the fact this one is a leaner and seems to move at the bottom in heavy winds is a bit of a concern. View? 

In terms of PPE, when I go up there I have a helmet, goggles, rubber gripper gloves and a motorbike suite made from cordura which I bought at a car boot. Not the same as your gear, appreciate that, but it is better than ordinary DIY clothes. 

Any tips appreciated. I definitely have lots to learn.

Virtually nil. Don't climb it in a strong wind though.. If it does topple, it will topple slowly, so just relax, bend your knees a bit, and ride it down.

Edited by Haironyourchest
Spelling
  • Like 1