Novice: top or rear handle 18v Makita for occasional use?

EdGreen

Hi guys, thanks to all for your replies and comments. Judging by what's been said, I think I will put off buying a chainsaw for the moment.

What I plan to do is climb up as high as I my ladder will allow (T bar stabilisation at the bottom and ladder tied to the tree at the top with a 400kg rated cam buckle). Cut down branches with a sharp hacksaw or bow saw (I have both of these). I can probably get about 40% of the way up, at best, it is one heck of a tall tree.

Once I have done the above, I can reassess the situation. 

My only questions at this stage is how would I climb beyond the top of the ladder? Tree climbing spikes look expensive and they will also damage the tree. I am guessing climbing by hanging onto the thickest of branches is a no-no?

One of the leylandii is at a lean angle of about 30 degrees as it has been displaced and stunted by some of the others, that one I will chop down to about 10ft and just leave a massive stump in the ground.

The others - let's come to those once I done the smaller leaning one! 😆

20 minutes ago, EdGreen said:

Hi guys, thanks to all for your replies and comments. Judging by what's been said, I think I will put off buying a chainsaw for the moment.

What I plan to do is climb up as high as I my ladder will allow (T bar stabilisation at the bottom and ladder tied to the tree at the top with a 400kg rated cam buckle). Cut down branches with a sharp hacksaw or bow saw (I have both of these). I can probably get about 40% of the way up, at best, it is one heck of a tall tree.

Once I have done the above, I can reassess the situation. 

My only questions at this stage is how would I climb beyond the top of the ladder? Tree climbing spikes look expensive and they will also damage the tree. I am guessing climbing by hanging onto the thickest of branches is a no-no?

One of the leylandii is at a lean angle of about 30 degrees as it has been displaced and stunted by some of the others, that one I will chop down to about 10ft and just leave a massive stump in the ground.

The others - let's come to those once I done the smaller leaning one! 😆

Hacksaws are for cutting metal mate. Seriously, buy yourself a Silky type saw and use that.  If its too big to cut with that id suggest its too big for you to tackle. Climbing trees is a skill and you can get it seriously wrong and end up either injured, causing property damage or worse.  As others have advised, can you look at other options such as asking neighbours to contribute as its it benefits them?

• Like 3

Get a few more quotes. If they are all coming in around £1300, that's telling you something. (It's not a quick and easy job)

Can you post some pics? Then people on here may be able to confirm this

Here we go:

garden-trees.jpg

The green one is leaning the most, that's the one I'd like to try and chop down to about 10ft high or so. The others need topping. It is not possible for me to top the others, but I can definitely have a go at doing something with the green one.

Might even have a go tomorrow and update you as long as I don't end up in A&E. 😂 No chainsaw, promise.

Edited by EdGreen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I assume you are are getting the message about this....

However if you are determined then I would consider hiring a saw for this, cheaper than buying one I think and the hire places should also be able to hire out suitable PPE.. and a taller ladder.

If your ladder will go up 40% of the tree, that would be about 5m? Tree is about 12m? where would that land in relation to your neighbours if it went the wrong way?

However......

Looking at the photos the quote you had would be taking into account not trashing the shed or any of the fences, or your neighbours shed which I believe is more time consuming. Though it is only a shed, get 6 of your strongest mates around you can probably empty it and lift it out the way, if the floor will survive that, might also get you a cheaper quote too for having a clear area to drop things into. Might get a cheaper quite too if they don't have to clear the site (and then you can get a saw yourself the next weekend and chop up what is left on the ground... with suitable safety kit first).

So assuming you arn't going to have too much of a go, how about you get another couple of quotes and before you do anything call whoever sent you the £1300 quote and ask if there is any prep work you can do to make it cheaper and if it would be cheaper if they didn't clear the tree away afterwards.

(Firewood... not going to be profitable and will need some effort from you but if you can cut the trunks into rings.. after they are on the ground... someone will take them as firewood... probably for free....leaving just the little stuff to take to the tip).

• Like 2

Once you start getting that on the floor you will realise why it was 1300 quid!

Ask yourself this, if your house needed re wiring would you be asking sparks how to do it? I guess not, why ? well because it’s dangerous if you don’t know what your doing so you would either leave it or pay for it, it’s pretty much the same thing your looking at doing but all the best with whatever you decide.

• Like 6