All round fitness - what do you do to maintain it?

Big J

8 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

That’s not extra, that’s just the norm :) 

I am planning to become semi aquatic over summers. My older daughter is similar. I had to drag her out of the lake to catch the plane on our last day at Easter! 😁

Guest Gimlet
2 hours ago, Big J said:

I am planning to become semi aquatic over summers. My older daughter is similar. I had to drag her out of the lake to catch the plane on our last day at Easter! 😁

I want to get into wild swimming as well. Got enough water near me. The south Tyne is only fifteen minutes away, the Wear not much further in the other direction, then there's the Derwent and plenty of becks that are swimmable. No end of reservoirs too but I'll give them a miss.. 

3 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

I want to get into wild swimming as well. Got enough water near me. The south Tyne is only fifteen minutes away, the Wear not much further in the other direction, then there's the Derwent and plenty of becks that are swimmable. No end of reservoirs too but I'll give them a miss.. 

Rivers tend always to be colder. The water doesn't separate off into thermoclines, so they aren't often over 20c. Best bet for a warm river swim is a small beck/river, late in the afternoon after a very sunny, warm day. The sunshine is the key. Small river, deep pools and you're sorted.

Don't disregard reservoirs. Still water is my personal preference for swimming. Much more relaxing. Also a lot warmer. Stay away from the dam end though. Also, if any of them have aeration, stay well clear of the bubbles. The cavitation means that your body is much, much heavier and you'll sink like a stone. It's one of the main reasons people drown in waterfalls. And also the reason on extremely high diving that they aerate the water. It's a lot less dense when you hit it at speed.

• Like 2

Guest Gimlet
35 minutes ago, Big J said:

Rivers tend always to be colder. The water doesn't separate off into thermoclines, so they aren't often over 20c. Best bet for a warm river swim is a small beck/river, late in the afternoon after a very sunny, warm day. The sunshine is the key. Small river, deep pools and you're sorted.

Don't disregard reservoirs. Still water is my personal preference for swimming. Much more relaxing. Also a lot warmer. Stay away from the dam end though. Also, if any of them have aeration, stay well clear of the bubbles. The cavitation means that your body is much, much heavier and you'll sink like a stone. It's one of the main reasons people drown in waterfalls. And also the reason on extremely high diving that they aerate the water. It's a lot less dense when you hit it at speed.

There'a a multitude of small reservoirs near me up on the moors that used to supply water to the industrial belt of Durham and Tyneside. I'd be very dubious about swimming in any of them. The Derwent especially has a dangerous overflows. You could swim safely at the far western end furthest from the dam but I reckon you'd soon have someone shouting at you, either anglers or the sailing club. Swimming is banned in Kielder water as well, except for organised competitive events. 

I took my truck to Kirkby Stephen this week for a service. While I was waiting I went for a wander along the river Eden. Plenty of small swimming pools there. In fact there were too local girls swimming in one of them as I went past. I expect it gets pretty busy with locals. Lovely river though.

DSC_0359.thumb.JPG.1a33b55f8f74cd46a6fe460170ce7fc9.JPG 

Edited by Gimlet

23 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

There'a a multitude of small reservoirs near me up on the moors that used to supply water to the industrial belt of Durham and Tyneside. I'd be very dubious about swimming in any of them. The Derwent especially has a dangerous overflows. You could swim safely at the far western end furthest from the dam but I reckon you'd soon have someone shouting at you, either anglers or the sailing club. Swimming is banned in Kielder water as well, except for organised competitive events. 

I took my truck to Kirkby Stephen this week for a service. While I was waiting I went for a wander along the river Eden. Plenty of small swimming pools there. In fact there were too local girls swimming in one of them as I went past. I expect it gets pretty busy with locals. Lovely river though.

DSC_0359.thumb.JPG.1a33b55f8f74cd46a6fe460170ce7fc9.JPG 

It's that difference that is so stark being one side of the border or the other. Most of my UK swimming has been done in Scotland, and with the right to roam, you can legitimately swim anywhere.

That river does look stunning, if cold! The warmest spots I've swim in UK rivers have been deeper pools on upland rivers beyond the trees. If the river flows through shallow, rocky channels in full sun, it's likely to be very warm on the right day.

Being of a certain age when most of my contemporaries have turned their toes up, the new mrs oldwoodcutter wants me to get some exercise so when not getting work in, I drive out to the forest and walk.
Trouble is I have to think how far to go, so I can get back without over doing it.
Also she tells me to keep to the main rideways where there are usually joggers and dog walkers.
I realise it’s nothing to the young guns,but if I do 3 or 4k steps I’m glad to get back to my van.
IMG_1651259685.412939.jpg

• Like 2