All round fitness - what do you do to maintain it?

Big J

42 minutes ago, jfc said:

Front crawl secret is just practice repeatedly in my experience.
I used to be the same could only do a lengthor 2.
I've not swum for years but could do 100m front crawl straight off. Go again and might do similar, however after that it would steadily increase. After 4 weeks I could do 1km and then more.
I could do 100x25m in an hour at one point. It suddenly clicks and you can knock it out easy.
I had ok technique as trained as a kid swimmer until age 12.
Jan.

Thanks for that Jan. It's embarrassing how quickly I gas out on FC, which is nothing like any of the other sports I've done. I shall work on it over the late summer and revisit this thread.

I might also work on my backstroke given that I have a good half mile of open water before I bump into any islands or the other side. 

I had a good bike ride last night - 23 miles split into two. Went to my brothers for a couple of beers and averaged 16.05mph on the return journey. I'm fairly pleased with that as I'm on a MTB with slicks. I reckon I'd be 18.5-19mph on a road bike (which I'll pick up tomorrow).

Properly suffered for it last thing last night though with a bit of cramp afterwards. Fine today, albeit tired. I calculated that I burned about 1550 kcal on that ride, and consequently I've been stupidly hungry today.

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet

I'm going to take up boxing training. Sparring and pad work but especially the circuit training that goes with it is phenomenally good for fitness. There's great camaraderie as well and you often train in pairs so you spur each other on. It's more motivating than pumping weights on your own. I've spoken to lots of people who've done and haven't met anyone who doesn't really enjoy it.

Did some garden tree work for a client who runs a boxing gym locally and as I'm planning a workshop-based enterprise soon (very much tree related) I think I will need some regular hardcore physical activity that won't be a chore, and some social contact that doesn't involve the pub won't go amiss either.

16 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

I'm going to take up boxing training. Sparring and pad work but especially the circuit training that goes with it is phenomenally good for fitness. There's great camaraderie as well and you often train in pairs so you spur each other on. It's more motivating than pumping weights on your own. I've spoken to lots of people who've done and haven't met anyone who doesn't really enjoy it.

Did some garden tree work for a client who runs a boxing gym locally and as I'm planning a workshop-based enterprise soon (very much tree related) I think I will need some regular hardcore physical activity that won't be a chore, and some social contact that doesn't involve the pub won't go amiss either.

Grew up boxing daily! Just did a google search though and theres nothing near me at all. I guess its not as popular these days.

Any kind of martial art (I'd put boxing in there, to an extent) is fantastic for blended strength, fitness and flexibility. I'd say that the precision and skill required adds an additional dimension.

I did taekwondo for a couple of years as a teenager. Pretty seriously too - won a couple of National sparring competitions at my belt level - being 6ft 8", fit as a flea and very light meant my reach/speed was more or less unbeatable. I only stopped because having moved to Manchester, I couldn't find a decent semi contact club. The full contact version of the sport was no full at all. 

I am however far too broken to even contemplate the idea of TKD now! So hats off to anyone my age or older who steps up :)

Gym 3 times a week only an hour a time but plus 20min stretch/yoga.

Three 5km runs a week.

been doing the above for 4 years now-since I was starting to get niggles in my back. No back niggles since week 6 of training and the dad bod has been held at bay too 😆

Start karate on Sunday - sons been going a few months and now wants me to join in too.

looks great for flexibility and body control

• Like 1

1 minute ago, josharb87 said:

Gym 3 times a week only an hour a time but plus 20min stretch/yoga.

Three 5km runs a week.

been doing the above for 4 years now-since I was starting to get niggles in my back. No back niggles since week 6 of training and the dad bod has been held at bay too 😆

Start karate on Sunday - sons been going a few months and now wants me to join in too.

looks great for flexibility and body control

Very good :)

But where does the Swedish summer swimming fit into all that?!