All round fitness - what do you do to maintain it?

Big J

The other thing I meant to say is a lot of people obsess too much about the details. Its not like we are going to be olympic athletes. Sometimes when I am not in the mood, they are completely rubbish technique but it doesnt matter I just push on,  its better to do some rubbish ones than none at all. Whatever you do, you want it to be difficult by the end. As soon as your condition improves and you find it easy, then make it more difficult !

What inspired me was I once went to a karate course with a brilliant instructor from Japan. He started the training by saying that he isnt particularly good at karate, he is good at training every day. He said that to him it didnt matter if he liked it, hated it, was sick, or anything else, he just did it. We dont generally skip cleaning our teeth based on our mood. To me now it is totally ingrained habit and I cant see myself ever stopping.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tcfengineering said:

The other thing I meant to say is a lot of people obsess too much about the details. Its not like we are going to be olympic athletes. Sometimes when I am not in the mood, they are completely rubbish technique but it doesnt matter I just push on,  its better to do some rubbish ones than none at all. Whatever you do, you want it to be difficult by the end. As soon as your condition improves and you find it easy, then make it more difficult !

What inspired me was I once went to a karate course with a brilliant instructor from Japan. He started the training by saying that he isnt particularly good at karate, he is good at training every day. He said that to him it didnt matter if he liked it, hated it, was sick, or anything else, he just did it. We dont generally skip cleaning our teeth based on our mood. To me now it is totally ingrained habit and I cant see myself ever stopping.

Biggest area i've suffered in since stoping climbing is lack of core strength. Been using this app lately which has really helped 

‎Join the movement of 40 million and see results with just 7 minutes a day. Getting fit has never been this easy – or this...

I also wouldnt mind taking up some sort of martial arts. I did Muay thai for 10 years in my youth, but i'm a bit of a pussy now so think that would be a bit too brutal for me at this age, although on the flip side I think something like Karate I think I might find a bit too namby pamby.

Always fancied Kendo but theres no classes near me. Aikido's an opton. I did that for a few years also and enjoyed the more technical aspect of it. One things for sure is I need to do something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I find firewood production and milling keeps me in shape, I am 6,1 and down to bang on 14 stone on the nose, might even be less now Ive been off-shore for near on two weeks now and not had my usual 6 pack of beer 

6 pack of beer lasts you 2 weeks? And I thought I was the pussy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I agree. If there was just one lift to do in the gym, it would be squats. Unless you have patella tendonitis! 

I did a lot of cycling as a kid, as well as some running. I think that because I did that in my formative years, it's left me with a big CV capacity, so cardio isn't too hideous, even when I'm unfit. That being said, cycling now at 108kg is a different matter to when I was competing at 65-68kg (albeit, I was 6ft 5" then, not 6ft 8").

Any tips on front crawl? It absolutely wipes me out after about 40m, whereas I can happily swim a mile breast stroke.
Front crawl secret is just practice repeatedly in my experience.
I used to be the same could only do a lengthor 2.
I've not swum for years but could do 100m front crawl straight off. Go again and might do similar, however after that it would steadily increase. After 4 weeks I could do 1km and then more.
I could do 100x25m in an hour at one point. It suddenly clicks and you can knock it out easy.
I had ok technique as trained as a kid swimmer until age 12.
Jan.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Biggest area i've suffered in since stoping climbing is lack of core strength. Been using this app lately which has really helped 

‎Join the movement of 40 million and see results with just 7 minutes a day. Getting fit has never been this easy – or this...

I also wouldnt mind taking up some sort of martial arts. I did Muay thai for 10 years in my youth, but i'm a bit of a pussy now so think that would be a bit too brutal for me at this age, although on the flip side I think something like Karate I think I might find a bit too namby pamby.

Always fancied Kendo but theres no classes near me. Aikido's an opton. I did that for a few years also and enjoyed the more technical aspect of it. One things for sure is I need to do something.

Dust off your kettle bells, they must be in the back of your wardrobe somewhere.

• Like 2

Fast approaching 70 with a list of compounded injuries ,  ( injuries caused by other injuries making other bits do more than they are supposed to ) bits and pieces of metal in me , 50 years of playing competitive squash , scrum half at school , yada yada yada I keep as fit as its possible to in my state by walking hear there and everywhere with my spaniel . I would love to be able to carry on with sport , gym etc etc but ......

• Like 6