Fell for free

45 minutes ago, Canal Navvy said:

Generic 1600 kg tirfor, ifor tipper behind land rover with mini-digger aboard, cut stems to five foot , track up ramps with stem 😀 

Distance is always the killer with bulk on haulage 😔

If I can get within about 50metres with a vehicle I can drag them out and the cost in labour doesn't mean too much when you're retired. It's strange that what you did as a youngster for pay can be an enjoyable job when retired.

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No one is gonna do it as a favour, but if there's someone nearby who knows what they're doing and is low on wood they'll prob do it.  Doesn't take long to get them down and decent amount there, all very dependent on location as said above haulage too far will kill it

Without someone having a look at them it’s a bit unfair on the OP to portray him as whatever some people are saying.

They could be an easy fell and extraction, in which case it’s a good deal.
Exactly. People would not plant forests if there was no money in it.
  • Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 23:30, NJA said:

No one is gonna do it as a favour, but if there's someone nearby who knows what they're doing and is low on wood they'll prob do it.  Doesn't take long to get them down and decent amount there, all very dependent on location as said above haulage too far will kill it

There may well be some one nearby who knows what they are doing and  would like to do it ...however .... is the landowner happy for them to do it...are they qualified / insured , risk assessments etc ?   other wise they will need a professional contractor which might  then increase costs beyond the value of the wood ....this is  sadly a common scenario nowadays !!

43 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

is the landowner happy for them to do it...are they qualified / insured , risk assessments etc ?   other wise they will need a professional contractor which might  then increase costs beyond the value of the wood ....this is  sadly a common scenario nowadays !!

Too true, the woodland by my house is littered with fallen trees and has never been managed, the owners, a charity, won't allow anyone other than their contractors to collect any timber over 4" diameter and their contractors leave it on site in inconvenient sizes. Health and safety is reason given, it wouldn't pay me to get public liability insurance even though I could just use a wheelbarrow for my needs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Too true, the woodland by my house is littered with fallen trees and has never been managed, the owners, a charity, won't allow anyone other than their contractors to collect any timber over 4" diameter and their contractors leave it on site in inconvenient sizes. Health and safety is reason given, it wouldn't pay me to get public liability insurance even though I could just use a wheelbarrow for my needs.

Add to that the possibility of a felling license , management plan , bat survey and nesting birds etc etc  !!!!  

1 hour ago, devon TWiG said:

Add to that the possibility of a felling license , management plan , bat survey and nesting birds etc etc  !!!!  

In the case I cited fallen trees do not require felling licences, in the past neither did public open spaces made at the time of the 1899 act  and I am not sure if that changed.

Interesting one about nesting birds, even on conservation sites we see a rush to get trees on the ground by March for later extraction but very few birds nest in trees yet many do nest in heaps of brash, robins and troglodytes spring to mind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

I'm not sure you would need a felling license, when the trees have a disease and are possibly a danger to the public,

however we don’t know the size of the trees and what volume it would add up to. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wonky said:

I'm not sure you would need a felling license, when the trees have a disease and are possibly a danger to the public,

however we don’t know the size of the trees and what volume it would add up to. 

I would have thought of there's enough usable wood for someone to do the work then a felling license would be very likely. Any danger would need to be serious, this is from the FC guidance:

An exception applies for the felling of a tree or trees necessary for the prevention of danger or the prevention or abatement of a nuisance. The danger exception could be said to apply only where there is an immediate risk of serious harm and urgent work is needed to remove the risk

The nuisance exception could be said to apply only where there is actionable nuisance (i.e. actual damage or an immediate risk of actual damage being caused), or nuisance by way of actual encroachment.

If you use this exception you will be asked to provide evidence of how the tree(s) presented a danger to people, property or infrastructure for example. Not all old or diseased trees are necessarily dangerous; you need to consider the risk they pose and demonstrate the exception is valid.