Apprentice schemes

Hodge

1 hour ago, Hodge said:

What is available for an apprentice in Arb? I'm looking to possibly take one on.

My sons doing an apprenticeship currently. He has 1 days online learning a week and 4 days at work. 100% funded for the course and the employer. his is through BCA n Berkshre. Theres only 2 or 3 colleges offering this though. Might be worth getting in touch with them. There will be some days towards the end where he will need to attend the college whch will be a bit of a pain as its nerly 3 hours drive from us.

On 27/04/2022 at 08:13, Hodge said:

What is available for an apprentice in Arb? I'm looking to possibly take one on.

The arborist standard is the one you need to look at.

You can find your local training providers by clicking the link on the above website.

Getting signed up for the apprenticeship service is one of the first step (if you haven't employed anyone before and need to set up PAYE then this can take some time), then you can reserve your funding. At the same time get talking to your local training providers about how they run the apprenticeship and then get recruiting, which the training provider can help you with.

How-to guide to the apprenticeship service here:

Guidance on how to use the apprenticeship service to access funds to pay for apprenticeship training.

Lynher Training

Thanks!! I will have a look into it.

I have been there a few times Hodge, it’s a reasonable commitment in both time and costs but the biggest part is finding the right candidate, no point in investing in a person who is just going to leave and set up on there own when college finishes or who scared of hard work 3 months into the course, not sure I would do it again, if I did I would be putting clause’s into there contact.

I have been there a few times Hodge, it’s a reasonable commitment in both time and costs but the biggest part is finding the right candidate, no point in investing in a person who is just going to leave and set up on there own when college finishes or who scared of hard work 3 months into the course, not sure I would do it again, if I did I would be putting clause’s into there contact.

Wise words Ian, you see it a lot, certainly in other trades. I know a sparky, trained a lad and looked after him well, once the lad had about 7 years experience he left and set up on his own. I guess this is the nature of the beast. It might not be the answer but I feel there is a shortage of new tree workers that are any good coming through.....

Wise words Ian, you see it a lot, certainly in other trades. I know a sparky, trained a lad and looked after him well, once the lad had about 7 years experience he left and set up on his own. I guess this is the nature of the beast. It might not be the answer but I feel there is a shortage of new tree workers that are any good coming through.....

I agree Paul, there is a lack of young blood, that’s for a reason, you can earn more clicking a mouse or working in other trades where your not busting ya balls day in day out!

I agree Paul, there is a lack of young blood, that’s for a reason, you can earn more clicking a mouse or working in other trades where your not busting ya balls day in day out!

Yep which brings us round to the other thread about running a profitable business. If most tree firms charged a decent amount relative to the graft of this job perhaps more people would see it as a good career. Some customers see us like we are sat at home waiting for them to call and will work for chicken feed. If all company ran as a business and the customer had no choice but to pay a fair price the industry could change for the better. Obviously I'm not so dilluded to think this will happen but it would be nice....the customer is always right is an outdated saying to some extent. I the recent storms not one of the trees I have looked after in the last 21 years failed because they had been maintained. A few I had recommended to be reduced etc failed. People need to start looking at trees as an asset and not a hindrance and then maybe young people would value coming into arb as a worthy career. Perhaps Greta T can convince the youth to look after the trees we have for the good of the planet[emoji120]
  • Like 1