pub style picnic bench

carlos

hi iam going to make a pub style picnic bench out of 6x2 planks probably about 5foot long to suit timber lengths,

just wondering if anyone has built one using online plans, seems to be few on the net, just wondering which one may be best.

thanks carl

Guest Gimlet

Beware some bench seats place the seat too far under the table making them very tight to sit in and get in and out of. Seems to be more common these days. There's a lot of composite/recycled plastic benches about now. Maybe these plastic benches originated in China and the dimensions are wrong for westerners.   

Whatever design you go for, I would check out a few finished articles in pubs and picnic sites etc and establish a seat/table position that works. 

I made two of these for a community allotment. They already had two older ones and well rotten in places.

i had the choice of which one to copy as they were both different.. as Gimlet said one was difficult to get in and out. So I didn’t copy that one.

the other thing is having the legs at the correct angle so there positioned  under  the seat, sometimes people sit on one side and this would make it unstable if the legs not under the seat. 🤔

9 hours ago, roys said:

Saw this bench table last year and thought it looked a fairly simple but effective design so took a pic of it as I might have been asked to make one, turns out I didn’t get asked.

6DA9E9AA-E46F-4E5D-8DB9-8713B1273298.jpeg

Oddly enough, I saw a stack of those up at Antrim Castle gardens last week. Literally a 4 or 5 high stack. So per Maynards post, all too often the design reflects transport or storage requirements, often ahead of human seating requirements. I also had a cousin spent a while container stuffing on a computer, and advising the design engineers, that "if you made that part smaller, or put an otherwise unneeded bolted joint in the middle we could fit more in the container".

10 hours ago, roys said:

Saw this bench table last year and thought it looked a fairly simple but effective design so took a pic of it as I might have been asked to make one, turns out I didn’t get asked.

6DA9E9AA-E46F-4E5D-8DB9-8713B1273298.jpeg

That's going to be a pig to get your legs under the table unless you are a spry under 50 which some of us aren't