Stihl MS250 Bar studs

roys

Bit of advise please, trying to guess a solution before I see the chainsaw (Stihl MS250) my mate stopped me when I was walking my dog tonight and asked if I could look at his chainsaw, says he can’t tighten the bar nuts as it just slips.

without looking at it I am guessing that maybe :

the nuts are stripped

the studs are stripped

or the chassis nut inserts are stripped.

If the chassis nut inserts are stripped what are my options, can the inserts be replaced, do the old ones need drilled out?

Any thoughts gratefully received, cheers

Edited by roys

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

With a bit of luck the inside of his chainsaw wrench is rounded out and there's nothing wrong with the saw!

Ta for the reply but not sure what you mean Dan.

He says the saw runs sweet, just can’t tighten the bar down.

The MS250 is a plastic crankcase/body, the bar nuts run on studs that are wound into the cranckcase body on a course thread. If the studs are spinning in the crankcase body then your only option really is to try and epoxy the studs back in, but might be a long shot and continued use means the owner will have to be very savvy each time he tightens the nuts up again when reassembling the bar and cover. Over tightening will see them slipping/stripping the studs in the crankcase again. Other than trying that if this is the issue then it’ll be a new crankcase/body. From a economical fix point of view then probably a chinese copy crankcase would be the best way to go maybe. Can you post some pics to try and see what we’re looking at?

IMG_6814.thumb.jpg.b586b1185d04ec79a566285c5f429a64.jpg

IMG_6815.jpg.50d2319b9119fb2c64f59e0ef2e873c4.jpg

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Fits for Stihl 021 023 025 MS210 MS230 MS250 Chainsaw ( DO WORK ON STIHL MS250C. WITH DFFERENT MOUNT HOLES FOR MAGNETO). 1 Fuel Tank shell.
  • Like 1

Cheers Ratman, as soon as it lands on my bench I will post up a pic or two.

Fingers crossed its the nuts that are stripped and you can just replace the studs, but i fear it’ll be the stud to crankcase at fault 🥴🤞
  • Like 1

On 26/04/2022 at 22:27, Ratman said:

Fingers crossed its the nuts that are stripped and you can just replace the studs, but i fear it’ll be the stud to crankcase at fault 🥴🤞

Yip as feared it is the stud to crankcase that is at fault.

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Even if the threads are pulled on the crankcase its worth tapping out the hole to 12mm and trying a stepped stud.

MBP0393_1.JPG

Good shout, will need to look them up either that or rattle a couple up on the lathe.

• 6 months later...
20 hours ago, HDAV said:

How did you on with the fix?

Good question, and I am searching my memory banks, from what I recall I offered to make him some studs on the lathe but fairly certain he just epoxied the old ones them back in, I was talking to him earlier on today as well. He doesn’t use the saw much so his repair will probably last a while.

• Thanks 1