Ranger T6 corrosion issues.

Johnsond

Running a 68 plate 3.2 wildtrack, FMDSH and currently at 58k. My first ranger wildtrack (2014) suffered from a poor finish on the chassis and most of the underside components etc but this newer model is worse. I’ve noticed today that the sump pan is corroded to such an extent it is leaking oil, the area around the sump plug is what’s affected the worst. Last main dealer service a couple of months ago and nothing was reported then. Now out of warranty so I’m heading down the route of dealing with Ford customer device 🙄.   Things are not looking good what with Ford closing a lot of the smaller outlets and planning on a lesser number of bigger dealers, I’ve lost the two within 50 mile of me. I know the bloody obsession with salt on UK roads is a  big part of the problem but I’d like to think that I’d get more than 58k out of a sump pan. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Running a 68 plate 3.2 wildtrack, FMDSH and currently at 58k. My first ranger wildtrack (2014) suffered from a poor finish on the chassis and most of the underside components etc but this newer model is worse. I’ve noticed today that the sump pan is corroded to such an extent it is leaking oil, the area around the sump plug is what’s affected the worst. Last main dealer service a couple of months ago and nothing was reported then. Now out of warranty so I’m heading down the route of dealing with Ford customer device 🙄.   Things are not looking good what with Ford closing a lot of the smaller outlets and planning on a lesser number of bigger dealers, I’ve lost the two within 50 mile of me. I know the bloody obsession with salt on UK roads is a  big part of the problem but I’d like to think that I’d get more than 58k out of a sump pan. 

Some of it is down to you living in Scotland . Much more salt on the roads than down here in the south . I bought a 3 year old Navara some time back SO65AOC ( Scotland )  and the chassis was red with surface rust . The bloke who fitted the tow bar could not believe it .  The Navara ( older version ) I had before was first registered down here and it was in better condition than the newer one registered firstly in Scotland . Having said that I don't think the manufacturers did enough on the corrosion front a few years back . My current Navara  ( 71 plate ) has a 5 year warranty for that .

20 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Some of it is down to you living in Scotland . Much more salt on the roads than down here in the south . I bought a 3 year old Navara some time back SO65AOC ( Scotland )  and the chassis was red with surface rust . The bloke who fitted the tow bar could not believe it .  The Navara ( older version ) I had before was first registered down here and it was in better condition than the newer one registered firstly in Scotland . Having said that I don't think the manufacturers did enough on the corrosion front a few years back . My current Navara  ( 71 plate ) has a 5 year warranty for that .

I’d agree with that in some respects for sure but I’ve owned a good few vehicles over the years and thankfully never lived south of Newcastle, without a doubt these two rangers have the poorest standard of coatings on the chassis and underbody areas of anything I’ve ever had previously. Sump pan rusted out in 58k or 31/2 years 🤮. I was under the ramps today and picking out bits of mig wire which says a lot about qc at the plants in South Africa. 

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

I’d agree with that in some respects for sure but I’ve owned a good few vehicles over the years and thankfully never lived south of Newcastle, without a doubt these two rangers have the poorest standard of coatings on the chassis and underbody areas of anything I’ve ever had previously. Sump pan rusted out in 58k or 31/2 years 🤮. I was under the ramps today and picking out bits of mig wire which says a lot about qc at the plants in South Africa. 

" Thankfully never lived south of Newcastle " I am cut to the quick 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

As a Landrover owner I can say if your sump pan is rusting then quite clearly you're not leaking enough oil.

As an ex squaddie whom started off on series 3 21/4 petrols then swapped to the first generation of army NA 90s and 110s,  then whom for  some reason bought an ex welsh water 110 hardtop once in civvy street I’m scarred for life with the Land Rover experience. 
My dream truck would be a Ram with a 5.9 Cummins but in RHD, don’t think I could live with the LHD thing on a day to day basis.

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

As an ex squaddie whom started off on series 3 21/4 petrols then swapped to the first generation of army NA 90s and 110s,  then whom for  some reason bought an ex welsh water 110 hardtop once in civvy street I’m scarred for life with the Land Rover experience. 
My dream truck would be a Ram with a 5.9 Cummins but in RHD, don’t think I could live with the LHD thing on a day to day basis.

Coldstreamer? I assumed that as you previously mentioned your o/c was Richard Drax. Plus Wellington Barracks.

1 hour ago, David Cropper said:

Coldstreamer? I assumed that as you previously mentioned your o/c was Richard Drax. Plus Wellington Barracks.

Richard Grosvener  Plunkett Ernle Earle Drax, Yeah 2nd battalion 2 company recce plt for most of my time. Welly barracks  to Otterburn in series 3 ffr petrols kitted as per pic is one of my scarred in Land Rover memories, the drive through London was always a laugh but it pissed  down the entire journey thereafter. In fact if I remember rightly it pissed down every day we were at Otterburn  as well. 

8CB6B8F6-CBD1-44FA-AE1D-326742F884F4.png

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 5