Help with our Vermeer SC362 stump grinder

Treechick81

We have a Vermeer sc362 gas powered stump grinder that's having problems with starting up. I'm having to prime the fuel line to have to start it sometimes. Some days it takes five minutes or more to get it to want to stay on. Other days it starts right up with no problems. I had a complete tune up on it recently. And it sometimes backfires. Please help sick of pulling up at customers homes looking like a jack ass when it won't start. 

2 hours ago, Treechick81 said:

We have a Vermeer sc362 gas powered stump grinder that's having problems with starting up. I'm having to prime the fuel line to have to start it sometimes. Some days it takes five minutes or more to get it to want to stay on. Other days it starts right up with no problems. I had a complete tune up on it recently. And it sometimes backfires. Please help sick of pulling up at customers homes looking like a jack ass when it won't start. 

I would have thought your first port of call would be the peeps that tuned it up recently.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Treechick81, as Mick says,  call the folks who took your dollars for the tune up. Some gas engines do take some time to get to good operation temp, but 5 mins does sound big! What engine is it running?

It was actually doing it before the tune up that's why the tune up was done. It was a simple tune up just changing the plugs and wires changing the oil and filter hydraulic filter air filter etc.  And it was done by someone who works with me. The engine is a vanguard but I'm not sure of the numbers on it. I'll have to check tomorrow when I get to work. 

Edited by Treechick81
Needed more details

On 25/04/2022 at 15:52, PeteB said:

Welcome to the forum Treechick81, as Mick says,  call the folks who took your dollars for the tune up. Some gas engines do take some time to get to good operation temp, but 5 mins does sound big! What engine is it running?

Sorry I just figured out how to actually reply but I did try to respond days ago. 🤦

IMG_20220427_192647.jpg

On 25/04/2022 at 16:19, Treechick81 said:

I think you need a skilled mechanic to take a look at it.  There are quite a few possible causes from a leaky fuel line to failed electronic ignition, or dirty carb muck in the fuel etc etc.  The guy who did the tune up perhaps doesn't have the in depth mechanical understanding to get to the bottom of it by the sound of it.

I'm not saying you won't get a clue from an internet forum, but there is no substitute for a skilled person spending an hour or two or four working on it.

When you start the machine, do you use the choke? Engines with a carb are often sensitive to weather changes, temperature and moisture. You say that the engine backfires, Vanguard engines are often adjusted a bit rich from the factory. They want choke until it fires the first time when it's cold and up to around +15-20C. During summer when it's warm, you may have better luck if you don't use the choke at all. One other thing I want to mention is to close the fuel tap when you don't use the machine.

On 29/04/2022 at 06:46, Ferguson system said:

When you start the machine, do you use the choke? Engines with a carb are often sensitive to weather changes, temperature and moisture. You say that the engine backfires, Vanguard engines are often adjusted a bit rich from the factory. They want choke until it fires the first time when it's cold and up to around +15-20C. During summer when it's warm, you may have better luck if you don't use the choke at all. One other thing I want to mention is to close the fuel tap when you don't use the machine.

I don't see a fuel tap. I have googled and tried looking for it and can't find it. 

37 minutes ago, Treechick81 said:

I don't see a fuel tap. I have googled and tried looking for it and can't find it. 

I tried reading through the manual for the 35 hp vanguard engine. It mentions it, and does show the icon for it, but doesn't explain in detail where it's located on the engine. Follow the fuel lines and you should be able to find it. On the smaller Vanguard twin engines, it's a red tab located at the side of the engine.

Hi
I have also 362 and far as I know there is no fuel tap. The fuel line from tank to engine is long and when you run it empty it takes several minutes to get all air out of the line. Just worrying when you need to start it like 10minutes that start motor or cables give up. Fuel filter is front of the engine and you can see fuel going through it. If line is leaking closer to engine then you need to air the line often what could be the reason for you problem. And what comes to backfire I think it is just mark that everything is fine. Every time that I have had some problem whit that engine it has stopped firing.