Compressed Sawdust

Steven P

I've thought before now about the saw dust and how best to use our dispose of it. I am not short of logs so don't want extra work to compress sawdust but thought about drying it, particularly noodles, to use as fire lighting material.  The space needed/three bulk  puts me off though.  I end up composting what I can and binning the rest.

Whenever I’m cutting I always try to save about a bucket of sawdust and chip. I use this for homemade firelighters, it doesn’t get rid of a vast amount of sawdust, but every little helps.

To make the firelighters I just melt some candle wax, mix in the sawdust (the hot wax gets rid of the moisture in the sawdust in a cloud of steam) and then put the mixture into the cardboard inners of loo rolls (cut into three). Doesn’t take long to whip up a batch of 50, the kids seem to like making them and they are work brilliantly for lighting the stoves!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, neiln said:

I've thought before now about the saw dust and how best to use our dispose of it. I am not short of logs so don't want extra work to compress sawdust but thought about drying it, particularly noodles, to use as fire lighting material.  The space needed/three bulk  puts me off though.  I end up composting what I can and binning the rest.

I mostly try and avoid producing it at home by ringing up logs elsewhere, as a result I can often fill a plastic bag with it and put it at the bottom of the fire after removing ash and then start the fire on top.

If I had lots as a result of producing firewood commercially and no space to dump it I would use a simple vortex burner in a 45 gallon drum  with a paddle fan to suck it and blow it in. Maybe even dilute the flue gas with lots of air and use it for drying.

• Like 1

That would literally be the only reason to bother with all that effort

A box of firelighters from Home Bargains is 50p, job done

It’s not really any effort, I’m shovelling up the sawdust to dispose of it anyway and it’s taking up no more of my time that I would be using disposing of the sawdust - and it’s saving me the effort of having to go to home bargains [emoji23]
  • Like 1