Info on old botex timber trailer

Scott Walker

If it's not braked I wouldn't bother personally Scott..... I would hope its only 5.5-6.5k max and braked.

Shame it's not on 400 wide tyres but will be ok on them.

Noticed all the wheel bearing covers are off so could have gritty shitty bearings now. 

Possibly  a 5050 crane? Can't remember the numbers of the older ones. 

Jasp wilsons would be able to tell you more

Edited by swinny

21 minutes ago, swinny said:

If it's not braked I wouldn't bother personally Scott..... I would hope its only 5.5-6.5k max and braked.

Shame it's not on 400 wide tyres but will be ok on them.

Noticed all the wheel bearing covers are off so could have gritty shitty bearings now. 

Possibly  a 5050 crane? Can't remember the numbers of the older ones. 

Jasp wilsons would be able to tell you more

Well spotted on the caps Chris, the owners a mechanic and said the bearings have all be done, probably why the caps aren't on. He's owned it for 11 years as a yard trailer as makes a few Chestnut stakes.

No brakes but it won't get used much on the road with a load! more for the yard and Estate work.

43 minutes ago, Scott Walker said:

Well spotted on the caps Chris, the owners a mechanic and said the bearings have all be done, probably why the caps aren't on. He's owned it for 11 years as a yard trailer as makes a few Chestnut stakes.

No brakes but it won't get used much on the road with a load! more for the yard and Estate work.

It's got pto pump on so should be responsive..... there should be a sight glass on the side to check for oil level.... one other thing would be nice to check oil in that pto box too.... if silvery it could be on the way out the gearbox. 

Check oil in the hyd tank if possible for the crane and make sure not milky and contaminated with water.... 

Check stabilisers legs or welding or cracking. 

See if you can wiggle crane to check for play. Even go round with a grease gun make sure it all takes grease. 

I went through the dilemma of a timber trailer a few years back.... unbaked were 4-6500 then braked were 8k plus

Also tidy them long dangling hoses up. 

Has it a swivel pin hitch? 

Edited by swinny

Used one like that in late 90's so she's a decent age, what I liked about it was you could take all the pins out the sides and put two in the rear sockets and cross load with short post length material to get a fairly rediculouse load on.
No steering drawbar was a letdown and eventually stress fractures around where the main lift ram is was the final demise as it had basically rusted from the inside out so nothing solid left to weld too.

• Like 1

To me that looks like an 80s or 90s botex maybe on a jones trailer. Either way it's early as it appears to be a ladder than a spine and shaped plate bunk. 

The crane is a 5050 5m reach and it should lift 2 tonne ish close in. I used the crane on a newer trailer than that and it was solid. Could pick up a fair sized lump. I expect the lift capacity of that has gone down a bit.

Trailer is most likely 8 to 10 tonne. It will lack a steering drawbar and if you haven't had one you will be OK. If you're use to one you will miss it. Crane looks like the ram guards are missing or it pre dates them. One of the legs looks bent. Check the ram to see if it is. They are expensive to repair.

2 hours ago, Brushcutter said:

To me that looks like an 80s or 90s botex maybe on a jones trailer. Either way it's early as it appears to be a ladder than a spine and shaped plate bunk. 

The crane is a 5050 5m reach and it should lift 2 tonne ish close in. I used the crane on a newer trailer than that and it was solid. Could pick up a fair sized lump. I expect the lift capacity of that has gone down a bit.

Trailer is most likely 8 to 10 tonne. It will lack a steering drawbar and if you haven't had one you will be OK. If you're use to one you will miss it. Crane looks like the ram guards are missing or it pre dates them. One of the legs looks bent. Check the ram to see if it is. They are expensive to repair.

Thanks, for that, appreciate the info. Yes the ram gaurds are missing! Do you think you could buy new ones? The legs not bent just looks it in the pic as I checked them and the rams. I think she's worth a gamble as should be ideal for my needs. 🤞

1 hour ago, Scott Walker said:

Thanks, for that, appreciate the info. Yes the ram gaurds are missing! Do you think you could buy new ones? The legs not bent just looks it in the pic as I checked them and the rams. I think she's worth a gamble as should be ideal for my needs. 🤞

From memory they were just angel iron that slid past each other. Should be easy to make them if Wilsons don't have any.