dolmar 123 big bar sizes or bigger saw?

edd01

Hi there,

you chaps last year helped me out hugely getting my 123 repaired. There is  a local tree that fell down, its stupidly enourmous and its on private land crashing through two back gardens. There is a legal issue and its been going on for months. everybody just wants the tree to vanish. I said i would help if i could.

Its a poplar tree

I am just wondering what size bar i could go up to on a dolmar 123 could go up to on a bar and chain, its certainly got the grunt. i believe its starting to leave its power behind. 

Just so we are clear, im not a pro but i live on a commercial/industrial yard and im very used to heavy equipment. so for the sake of these occasions i would feel comfortable get a 90cm saw or so. Any advice happy to take it.

Edward

• Like 1

I wouldn't go above 24", it's a 70cc saw after all. You can cut 2 foot cubes of wood with that which are plenty big enough to handle, there's not really that much point putting a 3 foot bar on and cutting rings in one when you can't lift them anyway.

I saw a test once using a Husqvarna 395 with 32" bar, cutting 15" rounds. Two side by side using almost the bar length took more than twice as long as the single round time, so the quicker way to remove wood is with a shorter bar. I believe it's because the saw rpm are higher, cutters engaged better, and chip flow easier.

• Like 1

You haven’t got much choice of bar that saw at the moment there’s three sizes around that fit and are available 20” 28” and 36”I’ve owned and used a few of these in

chainsaw and concrete saw versions and there sloggers top rpm is only 8k

i used to run a 30” on my last one 

ive got a 28” and chain if you need any help 

11 hours ago, edd01 said:

Hi shavy,

A larger bar and chain might be a good idea. 

What are the exact parameters and gauges for the bar sizes so it fits the drive sprocket? 

Thanks for the advice.

If you put an @ , you can tag the name and he gets a message.

You can also find him as AJS Chainsaws, I think he means he's got a bar and chain for sale which to my mind you might as well buy because it will definitely fit.

3 hours ago, edd01 said:

Hi @shavey,

A larger bar and chain might be a good idea. 

What are the exact parameters and gauges for the bar sizes so it fits the drive sprocket? 

Thanks for the advice.

The bar is made too fit the D033 mount it’s a 3/8 bar 063 gauge and 92 Drive link 

so it’s adäquate to fit over the drive sprocket of the 123 

13 hours ago, edd01 said:

@shavey

Ok, i guess i will take it :) how do i buy it off you?

Getting parts for this thing is tricky. 

13 hours ago, edd01 said:

@shavey

Ok, i guess i will take it :) how do i buy it off you?

Getting parts for this thing is tricky. 

Send me a PM when your ready and we can sort it out thanks