Choosing a saw...

john87

No, I did mean to say fell a tree with a diameter of max 1.5x the bar. I hope I am describing it correctly. That is what I was taught 20 odd years ago in college.

Assuming the tree is a perfect cylinder, mathematically it would be possible to cut max 2x, i.e saw buried fully from both sides of the hinge.

But I dont’t like this. The cut needs to be perfectly aligned, you’ll be very close to the tree when it falls, saw buried fully, maybe away from your preferred escape route etc.

To go bigger than 2x, you’d be relying on the heartwood splitting on its own right?

Cheers.

Did you pass your CS33 ? 🧐

Did you pass your CS33 ? 🧐

No, mine was called something else, a long time ago, i have lost the paperwork, just included basic felling.

I bow to the superior knowledge and skill of you and your Arbtalk kin.

I still have all my skin, limbs, fingers and toes, though….[emoji3]

Certainly is.. A wonderful place left to go to ruin.. so much could be done,  and for so little, if only people could be bothered. They spend MILLIONS on "experts" to try to tell them how to improve the patients "experience" if you like and money is wasted like water. I could tell them for nothing, all they have to do is to put everything back as it was 50 years ago..

I do what i can and have done well for one man. There is a lot more i want to try to get done this year. I have to get my building site dumper up and running so as to be able to transport stuff about the site more easily and i will get the excavator out there too and have a proper sort out of a BIG project i want to get sorted. It all takes time though and i have a lot i have to do in other areas of my life too.

I WILL get there though. Just PROUD to be able to do what i can and make a real difference, VERY VERY proud, make no mistake. I want to get neglected and abandoned areas back into use for the patients, and i will, make no mistake about that one!!

john..
Hi John, I work at an old mental health hospital, and I know exactly how much money the NHS managers waste. Trying to keep the buildings and grounds ( including woodland) in good condition is a nightmare.
  • Like 1

I know... Come April when there is money left in the pot you would think they would do a bit of maintenance, but no, they will deliberately spent it on a load of crap..

You know yourself what goes on.. It is all "short termism" Why spend ten pounds putting a slate on now, when you could leave it till you have dru rot and spend £200,000 instead..

I do my best though.. Cost me a fortune, but there we are.. I admit, i do love the place and i will do all i can to do the stuff that otherwise would never get done. Makes all the difference between someone coming along and saying... Nah, it is too far gone and demolishing it, or someone coming along and thinking, Hmmm, you know with with a bit of work we could do some thing here...

I just want to save the place, and i have some VERY high ranking supporters too, so,, go me!!

john..

• Like 1

Hi All,

So, i had my first go on the new saw today, so how did i get on??

Well, after i came from the shop, i stopped in a layby and got it going. Started after about 5 pulls, which from brand new i thought was good, considering no primer bulb..

This morning went to use it for the first time.. Could i get it to start from cold, could i hell, took me about 20 pulls if not more. Nearly gave up..

Once going it was fine and ran well. Started hot ok too.

When i got home and was busy cleaning the thing, i discovered the reason for the starting difficulty, i had forgotten all about the decompressor!! 5 mins ago i tried it again. This time, second pull from cold and very easy start when warm. So, i have never had a saw with a decompressor before, and forgot all about it. live and learn!! Will not forget that!!

So, how did it go?? Very well i think.. When you are just lugging the thing about it feels quite a lump [as a 73cc saw with a 28" solid bar would], but when in use you forget all about that and it works very well.

As for cutting speed, seeing as it is three times as powerful as my smaller Echo, and has a full chisel chain, not as fast as i was expectling, but the wood i was cutting up, no idea what species, but had been drying for about a year apparently, so maybe quite hard. Was a close grained stuff, some sort of hardwood then??

I used getting on for half a tank of fuel and maybe a quarter of a tank of chain oil. Does this seem about right??

All my other saws use about the same amount, but i was wondering if a longer chain needs more oil?? When i have finished cutting the chain feels dry really, but with maybe the slightest trace of oil. When you pull it out of the groove and look at the drive links though, you can clearly see a film of oil on them, so i think that is about right, or should i turn it up a bit??

Did not notice any vibration, and i was not wearing gloves, so must be quite smooth. Very noisy thing though, a LOT louded than my 2511, and that makes a racket..

All in all, very well pleased, easier to handle than i thought it would be [i am gone 60] starts easy if you remember the decompressor and seems built to last..

Here is the wood i cut up..

john..

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• Like 1