Choosing a saw...

john87

35 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You run a saw like that from new.

Of course they have to put it together for the PDI.

Why would you want to start a brand new engine and rev the bollocks off it from cold?? Would you do that to your car or bike or anything else??

john..

13 minutes ago, john87 said:

Why would you want to start a brand new engine and rev the bollocks off it from cold?? Would you do that to your car or bike or anything else??

john..

Yes.

That is how you bed the piston rings in properly. Needs to be under some load though not just in a shed doing nothing.

Maybe that's why they make the chain too tight. :rofl:

• Like 2

the lack of complicated electronics appeals to me. I would like something i could fix myself if something goes wrong

Forget Stihl then. Most of their saws have electronically controlled carbs and the 500 is fuel injected.
  • Like 1

Been reading some stuff about the stihl electronic carbs or the injection system is crap. Bit worried now...

Having said that, i would think most problems are that idiots have put mucky fuel in them..

Anyone had any problems with the M-tronic saws??

Also, with the MS50i i have read a lot about pumping the primer thing to start it. Is that just from cold?? What if i ileave it half hour, do i have to mess with the primer again, or will it just start straight up. Read a lot of stuff about 5 pulls to start the thing when hot. Surely that cannot be right?? My little echo is half a pull as should anything decent be..

john..

Edited by john87

5 hours ago, john87 said:

Been reading some stuff about the stihl electronic carbs or the injection system is crap. Bit worried now...

Having said that, i would think most problems are that idiots have put mucky fuel in them..

Anyone had any problems with the M-tronic saws??

Also, with the MS50i i have read a lot about pumping the primer thing to start it. Is that just from cold?? What if i ileave it half hour, do i have to mess with the primer again, or will it just start straight up. Read a lot of stuff about 5 pulls to start the thing when hot. Surely that cannot be right?? My little echo is half a pull as should anything decent be..

john..

Where have you been reading this?

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Where have you been reading this?

Just stuff i read from saw repairers and users on youtube.

I know some of them may be idiots, but unless you own one yourself, who is to know?? LOADS of them say that there is some solenoid that ends up getting replaced rather a lot, people that rightly or wrongly claim to be stihl trained repairers..

john..

On 23/04/2022 at 05:39, Mick Dempsey said:

No, you bore the hinge out, common practice.

Ah I understand now.  I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing that.  I'd end up with the tree falling on my head! Anyway its academic because I have some long bars.

• Like 1

Just get a 70cc saw from your preferred manufacture. None of them are bad.

I prefer Stihls 46 range, not much in it between the husky 572 and the stihl 462 (even done a film from dueling them against each other in 2017-absolutely no difference!) 

I would like to try out the new echo, as really impressed with the 2511 but no need for a 4th 70cc saw :laugh: 

Perhaps spud on the like could comment but I’ve never heard from mates/colleagues of electro gubbins failing. 

• Like 2