Choosing a saw...

john87

11 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

John said he has an echo pole saw, echo CS-352-ES with a 14" bar and echo 2511TES top handle.

In which case can you tell John that if he wants to save a few quid then a 362 with a 20" bar would probably do more than he thinks. 20" is a lot more bar than 14" and, more importantly, the power will be a revelation to him. If he wants 25", a 500i will pull it superbly and I concur that the balance is excellent.

• Like 4

Hi All,

Just this second got back in!!

Yes, Doug is right, that is what i have got.

1, My Echo CS-352ES with the 14" bar.

I have had this for about 3 or possibly 4 years now. Thing is like brand new. I look after all my stuff. Cannot understand it when i see people on youtube "unboxing" a brand new saw and they throw it around on a bench or the back of a van tailgate like it was a house brick.. This has been, and is, a BRILLIANT saw. Just completely faultless. Two pulls when cold, half a pull when warmed for 30 seconds and is simply amazing.. Would i buy another?? Without a seconds thought..

2, My Echo PPT-2620HES pole saw with the 12" bar.

This is the one with the straight handle, not the usual "loop" one. I got it because it occured to me that if the handle where you held the thing was at the apex of a loop, then the thing would attempt to pull itself [by gravity[ to a vertical position all the time, so how were you supposed to do cuts at an angle, and it appears that i was correct with this.

Once again, lovely, jewel of a thing. Lovely build quality and just great, A bit gutless at first, but as it started to run in it got better and better. Still needs a good warm up to give of its best even now. I have cut off 8" diameter branches with this thing no problem. Best thing is to cut a long branch off in short sections at a time, as otherwise you run the risk of a long branch dropping on you and the saw, which will obviously damage the thing.

Owing to the weight of the thing, quite a lot more than a Stihl MS50 etc etc, you certainly do not want to be using one all day, i will promise you that!!

If you were holding it vertically, it would not be a problem, but usually you are holding the thing at about 45 degrees so as the bits you cut off do not drop on your head!! Imagine holding a 12 foot long fishing rod horizontally with a few house bricks on the end all day, you get the idea!!

Would i buy another?? Again, YES! without a seconds thought..

3, My Echo CS-2511TES top handle saw with 10" bar.

I loved this as soon as i saw it. Once again, faultless. I have read about starting problems, but these are "pilot error" Where people go wrong, it that they go to start the thing, and naturally enough, hold it by the top handle. Problem is, by doing this they have no choice other than to touch the throttle, and this instantly disengages the choke.... Things go down hill from there as they pull and pull and then flood it..

When cold, choke on, hold the saw by the side handle, one pull and it will fire once. THEN, return the choke lever to the OFF position, and, still holding the saw by the side handle, one pull and it will start and fast idle. Touch the throttle and it will trip the mechanism and return to normal idle. When hot, try to start it by holding the side handle again, as otherwise, you will be starting it at full throttle and merely fighting the increased compression. If it does not start first pull, THEN open the throttle and pull a second time, it will start instantly..

It is a lovely saw to use. Lovely balance and plently of power for what it is intended for.. I have handled, but not tried, the next model up, 35cc i believe, and although no doubt great in that they will pull a longer bar, the wonderful balance is lost, to my mind at any rate..

Would i buy another?? Again, YES! without a seconds thought.. There is nothing else out there that compares, wonderful little thing..

As you can see, i like Echo saws and would gladly buy another, but cannot find anyone that has what i want in stock..

What fuel do i use? Husqvarna XP power2 as this is the best, After lots of research i found that this stuff contains JASO FD oil which is what Echo insist you must use. Other fuels contain the JASO FB spec oil, so, Husqvarna fuel it is..

I also have these..

Husqvarna 522HD60X Hedgetrimmer

Husqvarna 522HD675X Hedgetrimmer

Husqvarna 128C Strimmer

Kawasaki powered BK45ED Brushcutter

Husqvarna 525BX Leaf blower

Timberwolf 13/75G Chipper

john..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AHPP said:

In which case can you tell John that if he wants to save a few quid then a 362 with a 20" bar would probably do more than he thinks. 20" is a lot more bar than 14" and, more importantly, the power will be a revelation to him. If he wants 25", a 500i will pull it superbly and I concur that the balance is excellent.

I definately got a 362C, with the factory-fit 20" bar, and after the wee026 the power was a relevation.

All the chainsaw I will ever need. 

Anyone had any experience with an Echo CS-7310SX??

Apart from i like echo saws, the lack of complicated electronics appeals to me. I would like something i could fix myself if something goes wrong you see, as the local dealers are very friendly but i would not let them take anything to bits.. They seem to have no mechanical empathy at all.

You buy a saw and they cannot just give you the thing in the makers box, oh no.. They insist on putting the thing together, and then, after you have paid for it and it is YOUR property, they WILL NOT just give it to you, but insist on starting it up from cold, the poor thing never having been run before, and then revving the bollocks off it.

Not only that, when you have a look. the chain is FAR too tight.. Having said that, they are very helpful, 100% honest, always give good advice and NEVER try to sell you more than they think you need..

john..

4 minutes ago, john87 said:

Anyone had any experience with an Echo CS-7310SX??

Apart from i like echo saws, the lack of complicated electronics appeals to me. I would like something i could fix myself if something goes wrong you see, as the local dealers are very friendly but i would not let them take anything to bits.. They seem to have no mechanical empathy at all.

You buy a saw and they cannot just give you the thing in the makers box, oh no.. They insist on putting the thing together, and then, after you have paid for it and it is YOUR property, they WILL NOT just give it to you, but insist on starting it up from cold, the poor thing never having been run before, and then revving the bollocks off it.

Not only that, when you have a look. the chain is FAR too tight.. Having said that, they are very helpful, 100% honest, always give good advice and NEVER try to sell you more than they think you need..

john..

You run a saw like that from new.

Of course they have to put it together for the PDI.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

I have the 572 and most of the time I have an 18" bar on it. I have a 24" for it and it pulls it nicely. Before that I had a 576 and a 372. It's not fair to compare it to the 500i as they are different beasts. I do like the 462.

If you need an 80ish cc saw then 500i is the one to get. It will run a 36" bar and it's fast on 20. The 500i with a top handled saw and mid size rear handled saw is all the saw you will need.

I tried the 70cc echo a few years ago. It was very good bit of a torque monster really but I prefer the newer high chain speed or modern saws.

• Like 1