Choosing a saw...

john87

Hi all,

Been out looking at saws..

I want something that will pull a 24" bar..

Here is how far i have got..

Would like an Echo CS-620SX as i have other Echo saws and they are great.

According to Echo the 620 will pull a 28" bar... Problem is, the things have been replaced by a new model, the 621. This is the "low emission" version, and so far as i can see the cylinder and piston are different, so have they got a ceramic coated piston and the thing runs hot as hell as they have leaned it out so much??? No idea..

When you look at the Echo catalogue they list a 24" bar as max, [instead of the 28" listed for the 620] and the max power is less so that tells a story..

If you look in the Echo bar chart though, they only list a 20" bar for them, but a 24" for the "old" 620..

All as clear as mud.

Cannot find anywhere that actually has one in stock for me to have a look at, to see what i think and i am not about to buy something i have never even held..

An Echo CS-7310 looks good, but again, i have not been able to find one i can go and look at..

I DID have a look at a Husqvarna 572XP with a bar about 26" long on it [i measured it with a tape] Nice saw, but TERRIBLY front heavy.. Would not fancy using one of them all day, felt very cumbersome indeed.. Too much saw for me!!!

I DID have a look at a  Stihl MS500I with a 25" bar. This, although about the same weight as the Husky, felt MUCH better balanced and actually usable. VERY VERY nice it seemed, VERY expensive though..

What you all think??

john..

4 hours ago, john87 said:

I DID have a look at a  Stihl MS500I with a 25" bar. This, although about the same weight as the Husky, felt MUCH better balanced and actually usable. VERY VERY nice it seemed, VERY expensive though

The 500i is a saw that is very usable on a daily basis, the power to weight is 2nd to none and pulls a 25" bar n chain with ease, i think it states that they will run up to 36" ? but i am not 100% sure in that, i have used a 500i a fair bit with a 25" bar and very impressive saw, all so used one with a 20" bar and that is a real get on combination, both set ups with 25/20" bar are very well balanced and feel nice in your hands, i know several lads who used to be just Huskey but they got to use a 500 for a few hrs and then just went and bought one, and as one lad said to me one day that saw is a game changer in the saw world, i have only heard of one issue with a 500 and i think that was down to the plank who owned it ?, at the moment is i was in the market for a new saw in the 70/80cc class it would be a close call between the 462 and 500i, used both of them and not a right lot between them but as for power the 500 has the edge, the only problem i see with the 500 is it is a little thirsty compared to others but you cant have power and economy together, this is just my observations and others will tell you different, good luck and i hope you make the right choice,

• Like 7

6 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

The 500i is a saw that is very usable on a daily basis, the power to weight is 2nd to none and pulls a 25" bar n chain with ease, i think it states that they will run up to 36" ? but i am not 100% sure in that, i have used a 500i a fair bit with a 25" bar and very impressive saw, all so used one with a 20" bar and that is a real get on combination, both set ups with 25/20" bar are very well balanced and feel nice in your hands, i know several lads who used to be just Huskey but they got to use a 500 for a few hrs and then just went and bought one, and as one lad said to me one day that saw is a game changer in the saw world, i have only heard of one issue with a 500 and i think that was down to the plank who owned it ?, at the moment is i was in the market for a new saw in the 70/80cc class it would be a close call between the 462 and 500i, used both of them and not a right lot between them but as for power the 500 has the edge, the only problem i see with the 500 is it is a little thirsty compared to others but you cant have power and economy together, this is just my observations and others will tell you different, good luck and i hope you make the right choice,

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out.. I am only a beginner at all this stuff and information like that helps an awful lot!!

I have to be fair, i am starting to lean towards a 462 or the 500.. As you say, it felt VERY usable for a saw that size, at least in the shop it did!! As soon as i picked the thing up i was impressed..

I have been looking at specs for various saws, i one thing i have noticed is that Stihl tend to be very conservative regarding the bar size they say a saw of any particular power will pull, whereas other makers tend to offer longer bars but in combination with a lot less power, so at least it seems they do not feel it necessary to try to "overstate" the capabilities of their saws..

I did see a video last night of someone with a 500 that had one with a 32" bar and that flew through the stuff they were cutting, so as you say, the thing would handle a 25" bar stupidly easily..

I am going to try to look at a 462 and a 500 side by side and try to find out what differences there are in fuel consumption and stuff. Bit worried that a 500 might be a bit of a lot to go wrong, what with the injection and all, but i had a fuel injected 125 motorbike once, the that was FAR better on fuel than the carburetted 125 i had years ago, but then, as you say, more power = more fuel.. No getting away from that!!

john..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

have used a 36" with my 500i, on a full skip chain, pulled it absolutely fine

• Like 4

I was impressed with the 500i that I used.

You say that Stihl tend to be conservative about the bar sizes that a saw will pull.  I think it is wise to be cautious about this.  A lot of saws get sold based on the max bar length they can use, but just because it can pull that length it doesn't mean you should do so the whole time.  There is nothing worse than using a front heavy, too long, too heavy bar in an underpowered saw for any length of time. More teeth to sharpen and you need to be very exact!  I prefer to keep roughly the middle of the length range on a saw, so 15" in a 50cc and 25" in a 70 cc etc. The easy solution is to buy two bars and keep the longer one for when you really need it. 

You can crosscut up to double the bar length and fell up to 1.5x the bar length. Be realistic about what diameter log you actually need to cut.  Just my view.  I am quite short and bendy, taller people sometimes prefer longer bars for all cutting.

Edited by Muddy42
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

I was impressed with the 500i that I used.

You say that Stihl tend to be conservative about the bar sizes that a saw will pull.  I think it is wise to be cautious about this.  A lot of saws get sold based on the max bar length they can use, but just because it can pull that length it doesn't mean you should do so the whole time.  There is nothing worse than using a front heavy, too long, too heavy bar in an underpowered saw for any length of time. More teeth to sharpen and you need to be very exact!  I prefer to keep roughly the middle of the length range on a saw, so 15" in a 50cc and 25" in a 70 cc etc. The easy solution is to buy two bars and keep the longer one for when you really need it. 

You can crosscut up to double the bar length and fell up to 1.5x the bar length. Be realistic about what diameter log you actually need to cut.  Just my view.  I am quite short and bendy, taller people sometimes prefer longer bars for all cutting.

Yes!! I agree 1000% My car "might" be able to do 100mph, but what will its lifespan be if i chose to do so?? It is the same with everything mechanical. the harder you use it, the quicker it will wear out..  You "might" be able to go overboard and fit a big long bar, but what about the effect of the mechanics of the saw, the anti vib bits and the clutch etc. As you say, far far better to stick to middle of the range..

john..

500i is a beast! Had one for 2 years commercial Forestry, no issues whatsoever (touch wood). I do planting in the winter so probably only about a year and a half of hard work for it.

Usually have an 18" on it, pulls a 25" no problem when needed.

Also have a 16" but you have to hold on.....tight!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

have used a 36" with my 500i, on a full skip chain, pulled it absolutely fine

I run a 36" on my MS462. Knocked the oiler pin in and wound it to the max and it's fine for the felling cuts and ringing up the first few metres of big butts, which is all it gets used for.

I run a 36" on my MS462. Knocked the oiler pin in and wound it to the max and it's fine for the felling cuts and ringing up the first few metres of big butts, which is all it gets used for.

Do you get any leaking in storage after knocking the pin in? I’ve been a coward about doing it.