Sequential death of Scots Pine

Treerover

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:
great_spruce_bark_beetle.jpgInformation about the tree pest great spruce bark beetle ( Dendroctonus micans )

I've only seen this in Scotland on Spruce so far. But once spotted it'sa hard not to see the next time. Wouldn't it have to be quite severe to girdle a tree? The ones I saw were from a new infection so I haven't seen the radial extent of tunneling under the bark. The exit holes are farily distinctive and the bleeding is a curious purple/lilac colour, almost invariably accompanied by resin runs.

• Like 2

The other thing that occurs to me  is group killing by lightning strike. It's not the direct hit which normally blows off a strip of bark from the sudden evolution of steam but the ground current that kills the surface roots. The only time I saw where this was the alleged reason a group in a 30m radius area were killed but they all seemed to die at once.

• Like 1

The other thing that occurs to me  is group killing by lightning strike. It's not the direct hit which normally blows off a strip of bark from the sudden evolution of steam but the ground current that kills the surface roots. The only time I saw where this was the alleged reason a group in a 30m radius area were killed but they all seemed to die at once.

I’m not sure this could apply due to the slow and consecutive death rate over a few years.

great_spruce_bark_beetle.jpg WWW.FORESTRESEARCH.GOV.UK
Information about the tree pest great spruce bark beetle ( Dendroctonus micans )  

It reads that rarely does the Beetle attack Pine in this country.
I remember felling trees with this Beetle over 10 years ago, and the beetles’ presence was quite evident , but I guess that could have been just that particular infestation perhaps
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Treerover said:

I’m back there Sunday so I’ll look at some of the remaining moribund trees for signs. Thank you Stubby

I'm no expert bud . Its all I could think of . It wiped out a plantation of Corsican down here .

Lawn fertiliser/moss killer. A contractor with a Green thumb franchise killed a pine and wrecked a London plane within a season of getting the lawn “care” contract at a old customer of ours. I’ve no proof but that was the only thing that changed. 

• Like 1