Sequential death of Scots Pine

Treerover

Any ideas of what might be picking off a small stand of semi mature Scots pine in the middle of a long standing customers lawn/estate.

I thought Armillaria as I’ve witnessed it invade specimens in sequence and kill them over a slow time frame many times before…..but there are never any fruiting bodies on this stand , nor any white mycelium or bootlace under the bark.

The trees in question are not under any others stresses whatsoever .

What am I missing ? I’m seeing huge amounts of Scots Pine locally very quickly becoming moribund .

I think I’m clearly missing something.. hope you can assist IMG_4377.jpg

Note the blueing ….no metal work in the tree at all

The blue stain is a fungus that has invaded the sapwood after it is functionally dead, so not a pathogen. The rings look very close suggesting the tree has been stressed for many years. What soil is it, this is similar to the effect of chlorosis on a thin rendzina soil

Thank you for your reply. It’s on a clay soil , in the middle of a manicured lawn, on raised ground which falls away to a lake.
They have all looked in perfect health until approximately 3 years ago when the first one went .

Pines don't like having their roots messed around with, and if they are in a manicured lawn...........

If you are in the southern half of the UK, then Red Band Needle Blight would be a likely contender.

The new form of Phytopher affects Pine.

But i would start with root compaction/ damage as the most likely cause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

Thank you for your reply. It’s on a clay soil , in the middle of a manicured lawn, on raised ground which falls away to a lake.
They have all looked in perfect health until approximately 3 years ago when the first one went .

That rules out chlorosis then, sp is very drought resistant too. If there is no butt rot then Fomes is unlikely the cause.

What chance some sort of lawn treatment has affected them?

• Like 1