Verifying chimney

16 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Well, I have run two stoves and two open fires, all with original clay lining.  Touch wood, I have never had a chimney fire but I am scrupulous about keeping the fires small, cleaning the flues (twice a year for the open fires), creosote treatment and always using dry wood.  The flues are long with corners, difficult and expensive to reline.  I know the risks but would rather manage the situation until they need attention. 

To be clear I didn't recommend the OP use the flue without lining, just that he should check it himself before paying for help. Don't get me wrong, I am not against re-lining when the flue is actually leaking, another open flue is scheduled for an expensive furnaflex lining later on in the year. If you go for stainless steel watch out for cowboys and be prepare to replace the liner in <10 years.

19 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

If I were you (and you are reasonably handy) I would still sweep and smoke test the chimney before you pay for a professional. 

By all means then bring in a professional before you use the fire properly and so your @rse is covered with youhe camera footage isn't that helpful, it won't be able to see the kind of small cracks that let smoke out for example.

Thanks for reply Gimlet

8 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Cyclone flex rods, dill powered. Can sweep from inside. Bit of a hassle to set up but easier and safer than messing around with roof ladders and risk breaking slates etc .

Thanks for this, I saw them yesterday advertised on eBay and wondered what they were like.

15 hours ago, Stubby said:

I have my own set of brushes and sweep it once a year ( about now ) ready for next winter . Never had a problem . Always draws like a train .

Likewise.. though twice a year if I can get a weekend morning with no fire in mid winter... and same again, will do it about mow ready for next year. Maybe tomorrow morning

I got fibreglass 'super flexible' (or something like that) rods, purely that the I was struggling to get the thicker ones to bend through the stove door and up the chimney (paranoia perhaps that it would be too powerful and push the fittings apart), plus a suitable brush head for the liner. Didn't go for power sweep but looking at how much soot the manual brush gets out it does the job

• Like 1