Natural Windbreaker

almar789

Question

Hi guys, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I installed a greenhouse last year, but one of the poly-crap-onate panes buckled in that strong breeze we had earlier in the year. To counter that this year, I'd like to install a natural barrier to prevent it happening again, and was thinking about installing a tree/bush/shrub to act as a natural buffer.

Trouble is my neighbour's garage is very close to the place I want to install it, so I don't want to plant a future problem. I'm looking for something that can be maintained easily at about six foot tall and wide. From looking online it seems my options might be something like a mugo pine or a juniper, which could potentially be grown in containers.

Any input you have on this will be gratefully accepted!

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, almar789 said:
Trouble is my neighbour's garage is very close to the place I want to install it, so I don't want to plant a future problem. I'm looking for something that can be maintained easily at about six foot tall and wide. 

What about a 6ft fence :ph34r:

I used willow along side a polytunnel as grows fast and is free from cuttings.

I like a nice beech or hornbeam hedge though.

Container idea is a bad one imo unless you get massive containers and set up a drip hose for watering.

Seems alot of added unnessary faff & expense.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

Thanks for getting back to me!

23 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Considered tamarisk? Pretty resiliant and doesnt need much soil

Ideally I'm looking for an evergreen, but I do like the look of this one so thanks for the suggestion!

23 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Considered tamarisk? Pretty resiliant and doesnt need much soil

I do like cedars but given how tall these things can get, am I going to end up with root problems later down the line?

22 hours ago, scbk said:

What about a 6ft fence :ph34r:

LOL! A fence in not, not an option but ideally I'd like something the local wildlife can enjoy too. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

12 hours ago, Stere said:

I used willow along side a polytunnel as grows fast and is free from cuttings.

I like a nice beech or hornbeam hedge though.

Container idea is a bad one imo unless you get massive containers and set up a drip hose for watering.

Seems alot of added unnessary faff & expense.

My soil is quite heavy so a cursory glance suggests Hornbeam might be worth looking at, so thanks for the suggestion! I agree with containers being a faff, but thought it might be an option to contain the roots. If you have any other thoughts about that I'd be interested to hear them.

In ground root barriers as available, someone on here might have an idea of a particualar brand that they can recommend

Hornbeam also keeps its leaves in winter.

Considered Yew as is a nice fast growing evergreen?

Quercus ilex or Bay laurel?

Edited by Stere