Cutting of Hedge

parkgate

7 minutes ago, dumper said:

Can bamboo be a high hedge according to legislation?

No, it's a grass, not a tree or shrub. That said, a strict reading of the legislation suggests that a hedge mainly of evergreens could have bamboo within it and if the bamboo is contributing to it being a  barrier to light then the reduction of the bamboo along with the rest of the hedge could arguably be part of a Notice.

I think after threatening with legal action, I would also assure your neighbour that you will do everything in your power to encourage, nurture and supplementary plant to raise the hedge area to 25’ over time if your hedge is touched without your consent .
See how he likes dem apples/Leylandii/beech trees etc

We did a big connie hedge, reduce top and tidy both sides was the spec. We were finishing the neighbours side which was actually on our customer's property (I'd tried to make contact but no answer) when our customer said they hoped it didn't cause an issue as they didn't get on and the hedge had always been a point of contention. I feared we'd be in the firing line when the neighbour found out, but discovered the neighbour had passed away 2 days previously!

Customers can be wilfully vague about these things in advance.

Would they do this?

They're not stupid, they wouldn’t risk prosecution for someone else’s benefit.

Round our way they do not care and do anything for money as you would have to find them before they can be done...[emoji23][emoji23]

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dumper said:

My reading is the legislation refers to trees and shrubs so a 25ft high 40 foot long grass hedge is not covered and so cannot be instructed for reduction ?

The legislation says a hedge is a barrier to light that comprises mainly evergreen trees and shrubs. So, it can include other things that are not trees or shrubs and if these are contributing to it being a barrier to light they could be removed. I would include ivy and bamboo amongst these.

The extreme example you are putting forward of a line of bamboo does not fall within the legislation and therefore cannot be the subject of a high hedge notice.

21 hours ago, Treerover said:

I think after threatening with legal action, I would also assure your neighbour that you will do everything in your power to encourage, nurture and supplementary plant to raise the hedge area to 25’ over time if your hedge is touched without your consent .
See how he likes dem apples/Leylandii/beech trees etc

In Scotland that would be an actionable nuisance if it was done to spite a neighbour. No need to be vindictive about these things, or the law will no longer be on your side.