My mill is on the way!

william127

7 minutes ago, GWYNFIL said:

I went for a yankee barbecue cover black double lined water proof and its shaped to fit roughly the woodlands. if anyone's interested i will see if i can find it amazon. £50 ish .bit cheaper than a woodlands cover.

Nice one, I was going to look for something like that, thanks for the suggestion👍

15 hours ago, doobin said:

Well it’ll have to live outside, I’ll spray it with something. 

Sits quite well on the beaver tail (minus the soft tyre). I’m going to make a bracket up to pick the mill head up with pallet forks, so it and the track can go to site in the back of the tipper and then be moved into position on the trailer with the multione. 

I prefer it up on the trailer, so I’ll turn the handle the other way around. You can easily wiggle it to the middle of the trailer for transport if needed, and four ratchets onto the mill head should hold it steady for site transport or road if not taking the loader too. 

B3D54F08-E196-4995-B539-8B61A1CF9132.jpeg

Regards securing the head of the mill I made up a plate and drilled one hole on the  lower part of the carriage and then matched it up to one of the pairs of spare holes on the rails, so two holes on the rail and 1 on the frame, the plate can stay in place as it clears the rails during day to day use, absolutely solid once nipped up,  I used a single ratchet front and back to help secure it as well. 

E5892665-7BA9-40DA-9770-F42F711DCF6C.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, doobin said:

@william127Beat ya to it. First cuts, a bit of yew destined for firewood. Full of shake as it was a wind blow branch but good test. Managed to get it all into roughly inch slabs without hitting any of the mill. 

Still no clue what I’m doing but it’s a good start. 

AEB4EC56-4724-4755-BDD9-DB5621928B46.jpeg

392224AB-E114-4BE0-9148-87A682DE098C.jpeg

It's because you've got the sherpa,  it's saved you so much time you're now weeks ahead 😅😅👍

Top job though,  looks great👍👍

Have you got an extension on yours? I've got one but I'm debating putting it on as I think it'll mainly be logs like your yew for boards and fence Posts /sleepers I'll be doing 🤔🤔

obviously it can be bolted on and off, but if I build an rsj frame for it I don't want to bolt that on and off as an extension. 🤔👍

Just now, william127 said:

It's because you've got the sherpa,  it's saved you so much time you're now weeks ahead 😅😅👍

Top job though,  looks great👍👍

Have you got an extension on yours? I've got one but I'm debating putting it on as I think it'll mainly be logs like your yew for boards and fence Posts /sleepers I'll be doing 🤔🤔

obviously it can be bolted on and off, but if I build an rsj frame for it I don't want to bolt that on and off as an extension. 🤔👍

Yeah, got an extension. I’m thinking if I need to use the extension on site I could just set it up with a couple of jack legs. 

basically I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it!🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, doobin said:

Yeah, got an extension. I’m thinking if I need to use the extension on site I could just set it up with a couple of jack legs. 

basically I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it!🤣

Good plan, I think I'll build the mill, no extension,  no base frame, saw some timber and decide from there😅

Might still order the rsjs now  though,  price of them will only go one way😱😱😅😕