Ivy IS a real problem

CambridgeJC

Guest Gimlet

Anyway...

For those genuinely interested:

https://www.trees.org.uk/Trees.org.uk/files/f0/f0e3a76b-926f-4cde-b703-417563ae93df.pdf

In summary, the greatest threat Ivy poses to mature trees is from windbreak to weakened veterans that are already in decline. It poses little threat to younger, healthy trees. It isn't parasitic (ie. it takes nothing directly from the tree itself) and it doesn't out-compete with large trees for nutrients since those trees will have a more extensive root network than the Ivy. But it can rob hedgerows of nutrients and cause them to become impoverished because their root systems will not be as large as those of similar trees which have not had their growth suppressed by clipping. In my view, it will out compete hedgerows for light as well, if their owners are in the habit of clipping/flailing new growth into neat shapes all the time. The Ivy will fill out the gaps and the tree's leaves barely get to see the sun and the tree will age and sicken.  

Edited by Gimlet

28 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

But it can rob hedgerows of nutrients and cause them to become impoverished because their root systems will not be as large as those of similar trees which have not had their growth suppressed by clipping. In my view, it will out compete hedgerows for light as well, if their owners are in the habit of clipping/flailing new growth into neat shapes all the time. The Ivy will fill out the gaps and the tree's leaves barely get to see the sun and the tree will age and sicken.  

That just about sums up my experience with my garden boundary hedge on poor soil. Over 40 years with light annual clipping it had grown up and wider. Mixed holly and hawthorn and  ivy which completed covered a small building with stems 100mm had expanded into the hedge and completely smothered two hawthorn plants without my being properly aware.

I have now reduced the height and width severely and am controlling the ivy ground layer to some extent as it takes advantage of the extra light before the holly and hawthorn establish a thicker matrix.

I have a feeling  the hedge was previously all hawthorn  as it was a field before the house was built in 1862.

13 hours ago, CambridgeJC said:

They will eventually destroy your platform. Bye…🤣🤣🤣

People have been saying this for 16 years, usually when they can’t get their own way over something, yet we are still here.

You are obviously passionate about this subject but have approached it as if it’s already a scientifically proven fact, whilst at the same time rubbishing the opinions of the professional arborists on this forum, some of who have been working with trees and ivy for 30+ years. Using big words and well laid out sentences to belittle other members opinions is no better than some of what you have received in return as far as I’m concerned.

goodbye, and I wish you luck in finding a platform more suitable for discussing this with people who won’t disagree with you. 

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Welcome back! As you're here, interested to find out what science you do, or have done? 

Bioscience. Why do you ask? Is this the beginning of a mature discussion on ivy? Or a continuation of the anti-scientist dismissal of someone who is not an arborist. Someone who explicitly stated this in his original quest for help for facts and opinions from arborists?

Someone who has gained a great deal of information since making contact with this forum. I look forward to a friendly discussion with knowledgeable people who accept people with different views and perspectives. We are all never too old to learn. None of us know everything even after 30 years or more in any discipline. Friend or foe?

Edited by CambridgeJC
Spelling

12 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

People have been saying this for 16 years, usually when they can’t get their own way over something, yet we are still here.

You are obviously passionate about this subject but have approached it as if it’s already a scientifically proven fact, whilst at the same time rubbishing the opinions of the professional arborists on this forum, some of who have been working with trees and ivy for 30+ years. Using big words and well laid out sentences to belittle other members opinions is no better than some of what you have received in return as far as I’m concerned.

goodbye, and I wish you luck in finding a platform more suitable for discussing this with people who won’t disagree with you. 

Your final sentence includes a highly provocative suggestion that directly goes against your own posting guidelines. Designed to belittle me and suggest that my own posts are designed to belittle others. Please explain why you decided to send that parting shot because this is not the measured reply of a fair and impartial administrator or moderator. Please read paragraph 4 especially of those guidelines. You seem happy enough to allow someone to call me unhinged in this public forum which I found abusive. 
Maybe this is because I am a new visitor here from outside your arborist community?  You may need to follow the posting trail to discover action and reaction. I came here in good faith but have not enjoyed the behaviour of some contributors. Sorry to say this. John

25 minutes ago, CambridgeJC said:

Bioscience. Why do you ask? Is this the beginning of a mature discussion on ivy? Or a continuation of the anti-scientist dismissal of someone who is not an arborist. Someone who explicitly stated this in his original quest for help for facts and opinions from arborists?

Someone who has gained a great deal of information since making contact with this forum. I look forward to a friendly discussion with knowledgeable people who accept people with different views and perspectives. We are all never to old to learn. None of us know everything even after 30 years or more in any discipline. Friend or foe?

Just trying to get a better idea of who you are really, I'm reading a lot of your opinions lately.

What did you do as a Bioscientist? I don't know what that is I'm afraid.