Ivy IS a real problem

CambridgeJC

Guest Gimlet
11 hours ago, Steven P said:

Like marmite, you either love it or hate it (other inferior yeast extract based spreads are available).

Fixed it for you.

Edited by Gimlet

On 16/04/2022 at 17:30, CambridgeJC said:

It makes sense on the basis that I guess  even those who think ivy does not represent a problem probably still understand it needs to be controlled in some way. 

The problem still exists as to how to approach effective control when there is so much growth everywhere nowadays. 
Does this make sense now?  I posted both to accommodate both positions and in my attempt to obtain engagement from both initial sides of the argument. Thanks for all comments no matter whether they agreewith my personal fears about ivy. 

916E7566-F428-4ADA-9ECB-F505E456A688.jpeg

D0BA8BDB-3A81-4FBF-9E24-D2BEF2624899.jpeg

A common and ugly site across my way. I don't care what anyone says about Ivy, it eventually kills the tree. It grows so fast that it will eventually take over the whole canopy and starve the tree of all light to the point the tree can't photosynthesize. All the extra weight as well being supported by the tree adds issues. I have never seen a healthy tree that has big amounts of ivy growing up into the canopy. We need people out in force banding the lot of it.

Surely this thread is pointless. It is literally asking for anecdotal evidence to support an unsubstantiated hypothesis.

You shouldn't be looking for opinion if you believe that there is a problem. You should be looking for evidence. For what it's worth. I'm working with trees since 2002 in a number of capacities (climber, utility, team lead, safety manager). I haven't noticed any difference in the last 20 years. 

This means absolutely nothing however. You really need to begin measuring and collecting some form of concrete data. This will probably take a number of years before any sort of pattern emerges, but then this is one of the challenges of studying trees. The data is often multi-generational. Trees live a lot longer than us.

In 3-5 years or more, if you measure a percentage increase in Ivy covered trees or trees failing due to Ivy, then maybe you have thread, but for now, you really don't.

What is the result that you are hoping for? Reach a consensus on an unsubstantiated claim? Have a number of experienced Arbs propagate that claim amongst their colleagues and clients? Because without data, that is the only thing that can possibly come of this thread.

Or the alternative, which is to ignore a problem that hasn't been proven to exist. Which seems like the better option?

Edited by scottythepinetree
  • Like 6