Ivy IS a real problem

CambridgeJC

If the trees are owned by someone or a company, landowner, council that don’t keep on top of their maintenance which would benefit the trees then Ivy will lead to problems if it grows there.  
 To reduce the amount of Ivy I would recommend cutting it back to a point where there is not as much of it and still has leaf so not to eradicate it. 

18 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

This is another exercise where you ask for opinions from people more experienced than you and then challenge those who disagree when it doesn't suit your narrative.

It's okay, we're all looking for attention here. 

When did I challenge someone who disagrees with me?  I don’t know if ivy is a problem. I am trying to find out. I am not an arborist but I do have eyes. If I challenge anyone it will be for bad language and bullying. To call someone unhinged is disrespectful and ignorant. To be in receipt of this sort of personal comment feels very like bullying when in a public forum. Trying to get a laugh at someone else’s expense. I respect informed opinion but not use of bad language or attempts to insult others. 

On 16/04/2022 at 19:13, Mark J said:

We're simple folk, set your stall out in full and we'll look at and maybe buy the shiny things.
The way you approach a dataset should be in a fashion that will yield the most valuable results. 

Hello Mark. 
I am not ready to set out my stall quite yet as my current mission is to canvas opinion from educated arborists. So on advice I have set up a poll (Ivy in the UK) for all to view and participate irrespective of views for or against ivy. This way we can share in a snapshot poll of opinion driving our stance towards ivy as it exists in the UK now. Sadly we may have to suffer troll like behaviour of those who have a tendency to provoke and humiliate others here in this forum. They are mostly characterised by short inflammatory comments designed to elicit an emotional reaction and upset the target person. I have been tempted to give up on engaging arborists but believe such bad behaviour is still on the minority on this forum. Hopefully some good will come from my persistence regarding the potential to consider if ivy is being allowed to run riot or if this is not the case. At this point the jury is out but please get as many contacts to participate in the ivy poll. Thanks. John

Edited by CambridgeJC
Clarification

I recently drove past a small woodland in Norfolk. They were the only trees within eyesight.
Every tree was engulfed with Ivy with only 10% poking out the top.
I’m a few years the Ivy will engulf 100% of every tree then every tree will die.
The only woodland in an area devoid of trees[emoji51].
I’ve also watched every park and roadside in my area become engulfed with Ivy noticeably during the last 20years. It used to be ‘unnoticeable’ and now it’s an obvious horror.
During the last storm most trees that fell were covered with Ivy.

I walked through an FC woodland today . I stretches from the top road they call the bengies next to Goodwood estate down to Droke lane if anyone wants to google it . Got to be 100 acres . Predominately a beech plantation with some Larch , Spruce and Ash . Its had second thinnings in the past with racks cut . Recently a timber extradition of , at a guess ,  mabey12% of the standing  ash  . The trees left are on an average 3ft DBH .  There is some ivy but very little . The vast majority of trees are clean . Over the whole plantation I would say 0.5% have ivy on them . Just an observation today .