Home security cctv

harvey b davison

Hi, I'm after some recommendations on half decent CCTV for the house. I've looked at yale, Swann etc but haven't a clue about what to get. I don't want anything fancy that involves uploading to cloud or anything, just a 4 or 6 camera package that saves to a harddrive and can be viewed on a PC.

Cheers.

We've tried a few over the years - including Swann - and settled on a system from Eufy.  So far [2+ years] - can't fault it.

It connects into your home/work WiFi system and stores footage locally on a base station.  So critically, there are no subscriptions to pay for and no storage in the cloud.  You can buy any number of additional items [cameras, door/window switches, internal monitors] and they all seem to integrate easily into the base system.  No wires, good range and - so far - no false alarms.

You can monitor the cameras over the internet remotely via an app on your phone.  It can even alert you when there's someone at the front door and you can talk to them using one of the cameras.  You can turn the alarm on or off - and even re-programme it remotely.  Normally I hate these things - but it just works. 

It can be made to work simply - for example, just turn the alarm on and off from the phone.

Or it can be set-up to do all sorts of clever things.  It can be divided into zones or even arm or disarm itself automatically based on a time schedule [at night].  It can even be automatically set to arm itself when you leave the house and disarm when you come home.

I found it very simple to set-up - I had the basic system up and running within an hour.  Amazon often have good deals for a base station and two cameras.

The one downside?  Through the phone App - Eufy do try and sell you additional stuff on a regular basis.  I simply ignore it - but, I'm told - you can talk to their customer service and they will stop sending messages/offers to you.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, youngsbury said:

+1 for the Eufy. My mates got the system and he rates it ! I’m going to get the same for home. Got hikvison cameras at work along with Texecom but that’s a wired In system and that’s good depends on budget I guess. 

We had a Hikvision sytem in the yard and my main criticism of it was the time it took to review the footage.

When something went missing  I would have to take screenshots and flip between them so the missing item appeared at the frames were swapped and narrow the search down by finding the moment the item was last in view and then reviewing from that moment.

I've got eufy, it's ok but I find not 100% reliable. When people broke the gate on my yard it captured the pics and made an alert - but when I tried to dial in for live image it wouldn't work so I was driving there not knowing what I would find. I decided to upgrade but haven't done that yet.

Ultimately you have to decide cost Vs value of what you're protecting. Not being forced to pay a monthly subscription per camera was a big plus point for eufy in my eyes.

If anyone is looking for single cameras for yard security, livestock surveillance etc I wholly recommend Farm Stream:

farmstreamwhite_1_1200x1200.png?v=1616516733

WWW.FARMSTREAM.CO.UK
Farmstream 4G farm cameras are essential for keeping an eye on your animals and property. CCTV cameras increase security, animal welfare and productivity allowing you to check on your animals day and night. Farmstream provide affordable and easy to instal 4G and Wi-fi cameras suitable for sheds, stables and property

Fantastic product from British company with great customer care, that can even be used where no mains power supply.

20 x optical zoom on the PTZ camera and super easy setup, can even be added to an existing NVR based system.

These cameras will produce evidence quality imagery (what the cops advise), and all for £270!

• Like 5