How to identify finish type on oak furniture

CathyEck

Hello all,

I've bought a new solid oak bench meant for indoor use but I want to use it outdoors. As I understand it, if it has been finished with something like danish oil it can be used outside but if varnished it will need to be sanded and finished with something more appropriate for outdoors. Can anyone advise me on how to identify what kind of finish the bench currently has so that I can deal with it appropriately? From a layman's perspective, i'd guess it hasn't been varnished as doesn't have a glossy look, more of a satin. I appreciate that may be an incorrect assumption however.

Many thanks in advance, Cathy

2 hours ago, CathyEck said:

Hello all,

I've bought a new solid oak bench meant for indoor use but I want to use it outdoors. As I understand it, if it has been finished with something like danish oil it can be used outside but if varnished it will need to be sanded and finished with something more appropriate for outdoors. Can anyone advise me on how to identify what kind of finish the bench currently has so that I can deal with it appropriately? From a layman's perspective, i'd guess it hasn't been varnished as doesn't have a glossy look, more of a satin. I appreciate that may be an incorrect assumption however.

Take care - it is not just the finish you need to consider.  If there is any glue used for laminating or joints this is unlikely to cope with going outdoors.  You could post some close up photos for the ArbTalk community to look at and advise you.

• Like 2

Hello all,

If it’s “shop” new I doubt it’s been finished in Danish oil. Most likely sprayed in something cheap but durable. Polyurethane is where my money is.

Squarely is on the right track, how is the (most likely) laminated bits of oak held together?

The elements will most likely decimate your bench.

As Squarly mentioned pics are worth a thousand words. There could be solutions.
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for your replies both. It was shop bought but of very simple construction - a 6ft plank of wood & 2 legs that are attached by bolts. I'm attaching a pic of the constructed bench plus some close ups of one of the legs. I hope these help to explain 

bench.png

leg1.jpg

leg2.jpg

leg3.jpg

2 hours ago, CathyEck said:

Thanks very much for your replies both. It was shop bought but of very simple construction - a 6ft plank of wood & 2 legs that are attached by bolts. I'm attaching a pic of the constructed bench plus some close ups of one of the legs. I hope these help to explain 

bench.png

leg1.jpg

leg2.jpg

leg3.jpg

From the pics I'd say use it outside when it's dry and take it in when finished or give it a couple of extra coats of exterior polyurethane Yacht type varnish and take a chance, try a wee test area first to make sure there's no reaction between possible different finishes, good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CathyEck said:

bench.png

leg1.jpg

leg2.jpg

leg3.jpg

If water gets into that it will blow itself apart even if they used a waterproof glue. Looking at the bottom of the leg with the thread inserts you have a central support with the grain running the width of it and solid facings with the grain going the other way. When wood gets wet it expands far more across its width than it its length so those solid facing will expand but the core wont so it would tear itself apart. The only way you would have a chance of that surviving outside is to strip all the existing finish and encapsulate it in an epoxy and even then then this might fail. It only takes a tiny amount of water ingress to causes problems. Sorry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CathyEck said:

bench.png

leg1.jpg

leg2.jpg

leg3.jpg

If you take it outside it will get ruined.  It is made up of multiple pieces of oak glued, and would certainly not be weather resistant.  A new finish might help a little but it will only delay the inevitable.

Save it for indoors and buy something designed to take the weather.

• Like 2