New Book about Firewood - Who would like to check this out pre-publication version?

Logburner

Page 1 - 4 Introductions and Contents List.pdfHi All ...

... And no this is not an advertisement, but I have written a book about firewood and am looking for people who would be happy to go through it (or bits of it) and let me know of any errors, or otherwise comment.

This is PRE-PUBLICATION, when I still have time to make changes !!!

I'm not an expert in the same way that many of you are, but I have been buying and burning firewood in quite large quantities for more than 12 years now, and I have certainly learnt  a few things! 

My book is 108 pages long, with a very attractive cover, lots of photos, a few cartoons, and friendly good-humoured text.  I've included some files so that you can get a good idea of what's in it and how it looks.

I'm hoping that some of you will contact me and let me know you'd be a good reviewer.  If so, I'd be really happy to send you a copy.

The deal is that you check out the bits that interest you most and respond with comments or corrections.  I have to make sure that I haven't made any horrible errors!  (Of course, you then get your name/firm mentioned in the credits, with grateful acknowledgement of the help you provided).

So do please take a look  at the attached and get back to me.  You can respond by Private Message, or email [email protected], or just reply right here.

Hoping to hear, and all the very best.

Logburner (Shez) 

PS  I can only send the book as hard copy, so I would need your address.  I have just 15 of the 30 proof copies allocated to send to Arbtalk experts , so please don't delay!

Book Cover-With Crop Mark.pdf Page 1 - 4 Introductions and Contents List.pdf Page 15 - 17 A few sample pages.pdf

• Like 2

Just had a quick glance at the sample pages - alder and willow have always burned well for me, as long as they're dry. Poplar I think will burn fine too if dry, but it likes to absorb moisture when it can, so often isn't dry.

Also, I question how importing wood from Namibia can be sustainable?

Hi again all, 

Huge thanks to those who have already offered to review this book!  I'll post a copy of the pre-publication version to you immediately after Easter. 

Now, anyone else, please?  I still have 6 copies available for you, and I really will value your opinion.  If you do some reviewing for me, your name/firm's name will definitely appear in the credits section with an indication of the expert help you have provided.  It doesn't have to be the whole book.  You can choose the sections that most interest you once you see the book!

Cheers

Woodburner (Shez)

I had a skim through

I enjoyed the material, Im sure it will appeal to your intended market

Hopefully the final format will not be a PDF as it reads like an Procedure I get at work, or an instruction manual 

Have you read Norwegian Wood by Lars Mitting? I really liked its format and the way he delivers

• Like 1

I've read the sample pages and I'd be keen to read the rest👍. I'm a very small scale firewood producer and have read a couple of other firewood books out of interest and to know what information customers might be taking on about wood/fires👍👍

Without trashing you’re hard work, the cover and the general layout feels like one of those local community or council produced magazines.

Whilst I can’t recommend Norwegian wood enough, a great unbiased and pragmatic publication which discusses all aspects of firewood production with the general point being regardless of what you burn make sure it’s dry and kept dry, everyone can be picky about which species is better firewood until it’s cold, then you’ll burn practically anything!.

While you are probably aiming it at the weekend warrior/city slickers market, I have burned and produced firewood in various degrees for over 30 years as probably most of the forum.

Having met a lot of 1st time fireplace owners, the first year they’ll run around for free wood and pallets burning anything wet or dry, until they realise we have the expensive safety gear and tools for a reason and they buy in firewood that’s produced locally and not Namibian.

It’s also impossible to keep at 2%, once its landed here or at the very least on route the level will climb to under 16%, ie roughly atmospheric.

• Like 1

Hi Gareth. Thanks for your comments.  I take all comments on board. 

I am familiar with Norwegian Wood, which is indeed a great book!  My book, too, is a serious book, covering many topics which I found puzzling at the outset and which I noticed confused others, too.  Some of those topics I have had to research quite closely.  It's been enjoyable and I am hopeful that it will help others.