Cortisone injections

teresa green

Had both my shoulders operated on 3 years apart, before the operations I had injections in both, one of the injections did offer temporary pain relief which was fab but the pain came back hence the op. The injection in the other shoulder made no difference hence op on that one.

I had gone through the physio sessions before hand but they were never going to work n my case.

28 minutes ago, roys said:

Had both my shoulders operated on 3 years apart, before the operations I had injections in both, one of the injections did offer temporary pain relief which was fab but the pain came back hence the op. The injection in the other shoulder made no difference hence op on that one.

I had gone through the physio sessions before hand but they were never going to work n my case.

I was similar. It helped for a bit but ultimately nothing but surgery could sort it out. I had broken the socket, torn ligaments, was missing bits of bone and cartilage and the whole rotator cuff was flapping about. First surgeon I took my mri to told me to go back to school because I was done climbing. Found a better surgeon and 8 years later I’m on top form 👌🏻
I think my main lesson was that more investigation would have been beneficial in the first instance. The injections were a cheap option and they did help in the short term, but ultimately we needed more knowledge in order to better direct resources. I actually paid for my mri privately in the end. £400 but well worth it.

Edited by Mr. Squirrel

No rotator cuff left shoulder snapped and 50mm gap, right torn but stitched works fine, Left they said it’s fkd , had the Welsh Rugby Physio work on me, he managed to get my arm 1/2 way, thats it, So use your good arm to push your baddy as far as you can and support it, then bit by bit move the supporting arm down, your baddy will just fall 

persevere keep pushing, you’ll soon be able to take a little weight on it, then like me you’ll get full use of your arm back, totally blew the medics away, It’s surprising what your own body can do, 

• Like 1

Lost movement in right arm 10 years ago, and was told by a private Physio that first looked and did test that I had detached 3 of the 4 rotator cuff muscles, then saw doctor how said yes then refer to see consultant how said yes that's what you have done went back to see physio to get some movement back while waiting for MRI and she had taken my notes to a practice she worked at to get second opinion on which turned out to be 4 opinions as they looked at my notes over cups of tea. Kept doing what physio told me and managed to do some light work which amazed her and doctor. Got MRI scan after a long wait and xrays on eyes and head for metal fragments then saw consultant again after about 2 months how said no you haven't rotator cuff damage you have impingement in shoulder and can't operate for were it is would do to much damage getting to it. Still plays up from time to time pain can be like someone standing on shoulder.   

9 hours ago, pops hall said:

No rotator cuff left shoulder snapped and 50mm gap, right torn but stitched works fine, Left they said it’s fkd , had the Welsh Rugby Physio work on me, he managed to get my arm 1/2 way, thats it, So use your good arm to push your baddy as far as you can and support it, then bit by bit move the supporting arm down, your baddy will just fall 

persevere keep pushing, you’ll soon be able to take a little weight on it, then like me you’ll get full use of your arm back, totally blew the medics away, It’s surprising what your own body can do, 

I did all you suggest for years even working on it in an NHS pool . I can just about hold it up to waist height . Its useless .

21 hours ago, teresa green said:

Suffering with an elbow problem for a while. I’ve had tennis elbow on and off over the years but about six months ago I really give my elbow a good knock where I thought I’d broken/chipped a bone. X ray came back with no breaks but I’m suffering with lots of pain. May arm goes into a locked position. Anyways wondering peoples good or bad experiences of getting cortisone injections? Much appreciation 

I still have a pain in my elbow but when it was locking it really hurt and I was afraid to move it for fear of causing permanent damage. Before I could get an appointment for physio I found that holding my arm out with the palm facing up then raising it by holding the elbow with my other hand and lifting and straightening at the same time would free it off and give much relief. I had the injections many years ago but now they seem reluctant to give them out and to be honest I would not say they were really effective and were more painful than the original problem.

Well Stubby, depends on your $ situ, they have been stitching pig skin in place of the cuff, you could check on that possibility, mine was constantly use the good arm

to place baddy on top of the door frame a gentle take the weight, if you can do waist height, a light 1/4 llb weight from fully down to waist, as it get stronger use good arm lift it a bit higher see if you can hold it, what happens is a muscle on your back takes over from the cuff, it takes a long time and a lot of effort, no negatives, if I did it so can you, just keep going, get a 7 iron and practice a nice swing too, 

15 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I was similar. It helped for a bit but ultimately nothing but surgery could sort it out. I had broken the socket, torn ligaments, was missing bits of bone and cartilage and the whole rotator cuff was flapping about. First surgeon I took my mri to told me to go back to school because I was done climbing. Found a better surgeon and 8 years later I’m on top form 👌🏻
I think my main lesson was that more investigation would have been beneficial in the first instance. The injections were a cheap option and they did help in the short term, but ultimately we needed more knowledge in order to better direct resources. I actually paid for my mri privately in the end. £400 but well worth it.

That’s about right for private MRI

its crap people knocking our NHS,  getting on is the problem it’s the Doctors, you’d think it came out of their funds,

once you are in its terrific best care etc, lost count of the number of scans X-rays visits etc, just need a good result for my back and I’ll be working hard again no climbing though 

no step ladders. Stay on terra firma 

just cut logs into firewood, I’m still useful, 

2 hours ago, pops hall said:

Well Stubby, depends on your $ situ, they have been stitching pig skin in place of the cuff, you could check on that possibility, mine was constantly use the good arm

to place baddy on top of the door frame a gentle take the weight, if you can do waist height, a light 1/4 llb weight from fully down to waist, as it get stronger use good arm lift it a bit higher see if you can hold it, what happens is a muscle on your back takes over from the cuff, it takes a long time and a lot of effort, no negatives, if I did it so can you, just keep going, get a 7 iron and practice a nice swing too, 

I have the added complication of the metal shoulder wich has worn out now .