If you were free to roam...

eggsarascal

11 hours ago, roboted said:

South Lakes. Dalton/Ulverston. Canny kind folk.

I used to think that the Duddon Valley was where I ought to be, trouble is all of the other visitors thought the same and now it's dead.

Twenty five years ago there were two school minibuses and the pub had local accents in.

Virtually any property that comes on the market gets snapped up by those who visited for all night drinking sessions and a good campsite when university students 😒

21 hours ago, Johnsond said:

I’d move back to Alnwick/Northumberland  in a heartbeat if I had my way, rural Aberdeenshire is the price of keeping the Mrs sweet. Beautiful coastline ( apart from the mine waste damage further south)and spent many happy carefree days at Cresswell beach with the kids, swimming and Winkle picking etc. 

Well we're up there for a week soon so we'll have a look round , never know....

Guest Gimlet

Well I wanted to move to the north east and I've done that and it is far better than down south. But if I had enough money and didn't need to worry about working, I'd buy a nice house with plenty of ground in as remote a part of north Kielder/Scottish borders forest area as I could find and spend my days doing a lot of nothing except tinkering in my workshop, shooting, fishing and riding my bikes.  

Well I wanted to move to the north east and I've done that and it is far better than down south. But if I had enough money and didn't need to worry about working, I'd buy a nice house with plenty of ground in as remote a part of north Kielder/Scottish borders forest area as I could find and spend my days doing a lot of nothing except tinkering in my workshop, shooting, fishing and riding my bikes.  

Midges !! [emoji51][emoji51]
  • Haha 1

Guest Gimlet
3 hours ago, MattyF said:

Midges !! emoji51.pngemoji51.png

Generally, I seem to suffer less from these than most people. But I shall assess the situation over the coming summer. Maybe if I dye my hair ginger, dab neat malt whisky on my extremities and adopt a dour and glowering demeanour, they will be discouraged. 

Edited by Gimlet

1 hour ago, Gimlet said:

Generally, I seem to suffer less from these than most people. But I shall assess the situation over the coming summer. Maybe if I dye my hair ginger, dab neat malt whisky on my extremities and adopt a dour and glowering demeanour, they will be discouraged. 

As much as I like whisky I find that Smidge works a treat to stop the midges from biting, I find they don’t stop landing on you but they don’t appear to bite.

Guest Gimlet
3 hours ago, roys said:

As much as I like whisky I find that Smidge works a treat to stop the midges from biting, I find they don’t stop landing on you but they don’t appear to bite.

I've found the same with Jungle Forumla. But it wears off fairly quickly and if it gets on your lips it makes them go numb so probably isn't that good for you. Must give Smidge a try.

I used JF in an infested birch wood in Glen Moriston and as you say, I could feel them crawling about in my ears and nostrils but they didn't bite. 

Edited by Gimlet

In the UK? Well not the West Country - have you seen the bloody lanes?! 😆

For me in the UK it'd be Strathspey, around Loch Insh and Kincraig. Lovely people there, beautiful surrounds and good fishing. 

England is almost all too busy. It's a shame as a fair bit of it is reasonably nice. Full of angry, frustrated English people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3