If you were free to roam...

eggsarascal

54 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Northumberland 

Hampshire (or Hampshire/Dorset border)

Cheshire

We've been discussing where we'd move to if we could pick anywhere, we sort of landed here due to jobs and then had kids so stayed. They're now 17 and 19 so not a tie for much longer.

I grew up Hampshire/Dorset border, near the sea. It's bloody busy now, traffic and people, New Forest a national park with 40mph speed limits everywhere. To be fair maybe not as bad as Kent though.

I'd say Yorkshire for countryside and space, but I'm not sure if I'd like the winters. Derbyshire a compromise? Like the idea of Northumberland, there is something about being near the sea.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

We've been discussing where we'd move to if we could pick anywhere, we sort of landed here due to jobs and then had kids so stayed. They're now 17 and 19 so not a tie for much longer.

I grew up Hampshire/Dorset border, near the sea. It's bloody busy now, traffic and people, New Forest a national park with 40mph speed limits everywhere. To be fair maybe not as bad as Kent though.

I'd say Yorkshire for countryside and space, but I'm not sure if I'd like the winters. Derbyshire a compromise? Like the idea of Northumberland, there is something about being near the sea.

I’d move back to Alnwick/Northumberland  in a heartbeat if I had my way, rural Aberdeenshire is the price of keeping the Mrs sweet. Beautiful coastline ( apart from the mine waste damage further south)and spent many happy carefree days at Cresswell beach with the kids, swimming and Winkle picking etc. 

• Like 3

Just now, eggsarascal said:

Being next to the sea isn't for me, the countryside suits me much better. I'm in the Staffs Moorlands right now which is lovely, just fancy a move.

Not sure what it is Eggs but if I’m too far away from the coast I really can’t stand it. Tried living inland and in a town before and hated every minute of it. Being at the beach or even working at sea etc just feels right, each to their own mind. Northumberland has both stunning  countryside including woodlands and amazing coastlines. That and generally pretty decent people too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

Not sure what it is Eggs but if I’m too far away from the coast I really can’t stand it. Tried living inland and in a town before and hated every minute of it. Being at the beach or even working at sea etc just feels right, each to their own mind. Northumberland has both stunning  countryside including woodlands and amazing coastlines. That and generally pretty decent people too. 

As you say, it's each to their own. For me the coast doesn't fit, it's got no appeal for me. I've no interest in living in a town either, and most of the places I pull are out in the sticks. The problem I have with Northumberland is I might bump into folk like Bolam...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

The daylight difference between York and Edinburgh is about 25 minutes on the Winter Solstice.

I know, however the light intensity is less the further north you go too. I nearly moved to Stonehaven in my 20’s but  a stay in January through to February put me right off.