Red diesel

Redwood27

1 hour ago, Baldbloke said:

And last year on here when I suggested that the construction industry’s loss of red usage would seriously impact on new house prices some were quick to rubbish my thoughtsemoji1.png

There's a lot of people back tracking on what you said about red diesel last year. 

Re subsidies and food prices. We rent grazing at peppercorn rates and the landowners of the fields we have the use of keep their subsidies. We obviously do pasture management which involves fertilizer and diesel. Both are 3x what they were last year. If we dont see a return corresponding to the same come market day in the autumn, then those up front costs will make us reconsider next year's plans.

The 2000+ hectre farms will have huge outlays going into the ground now. If harvest and livestock prices don't match their expectations then they'll simply stop growing food.

Subsidies are not just for City boys investing in land to bypass capital gains tax etc. They are future-protecting assurance.

On a historical note, it was said that average residential rent back in 1950s-1960s was approx 10% of average national income. However, food costs were close to 50%. That's why everyone was skinny back then.

We in the UK have been used to cheap food for a long time in contrast. Rent though has been creeping up to well over 50% of national average income.

• Like 3

The ceo of the nfu trousered 2 million last year.
I took my business elsewhere several years ago, I’m not subsidising someone’s cayman island.

You really need to weigh up the benefits verses the costs and not what the boss makes.

I’m about £60 a month in union dues. I don’t know nor care what the top dog makes as I know the security of that £60 a month is worth it’s weight in gold.

I firmly believe there should be no red diesel, simples, only clear stuff, that way no angst nor opportunity for skulduggery. Arrange a cash-back to those who can argue they need it to keep food prices lower, or for whatever other well argued reason. Something like a sub based on acres farmed, crops grown, taxes paid, VAT returns or whatever. Now with everything being electronic and agribizz largely being a cashfree business this should be entirely possible.

Oh! and bloody well tax jet fuel, to the same extent as petrol and diesel.

mth

Edited by difflock
  • Like 6

I firmly believe there should be no red diesel, simples, only clear stuff, that way no angst nor opportunity for skulduggery. Arrange a cash-back to those who can argue they need it to keep food prices lower, or for whatever other well argued reason. Something like a sub based on acres farmed, crops grown, taxes paid, VAT returns or whatever. Now with everything being electronic and agribizz largely being a cashfree business this should be entirely possible.
Oh! and bloody well tax jet fuel, to the same extent as petrol and diesel.
mth

Oi! I like at least 3 months of sun a year. I don’t need the dregs sucking the life out of that as well