Cast Ali fan on Timberwolf 150 (year 2000±)

cjdg

I put a new fan on a complete rebuild of this machine about four years ago.  It has again disintegrated!

IMG_2892.jpg.80e9e9bb442be74af831492d8fbb4556.jpg

Question(s) 1.  Is the cause of this likely to be user-related by putting stones or metal instead of timber?  Seems  unlikely as it is not on the cutting path.  If not, what has caused this after such a short time?  I would not expect this to be a service replaceable part but to last the lifetime of the machine.  Any comments ?

Question 2.  At the same time, I noticed that the threaded studs on the bottom hydraulic motor have pulled out of the cuboidal housing of steel  despite being welded in last time.  Is it time to buy a new plate steel housing or (and I am inclined to favour the latter) should I drill out the steel hole, weld in a new bolt rather than threaded rod with the bolt head set inside the steel and if necessary ground down slightly should it be needed for clearance (yet to be determined)

Question 3. How do I pull out the bearing on the main frame steel plate shown in the photo with the bearing puller which only fits on two of the three sides? What am I missing here?

IMG_2893.jpg.55d7389dfed3a998c9ba7b86f9502123.jpg

Question 4.  If it is the case that this is normally a life time part for the machine and it is not possible to damage it by abuse, what are my chances of the supplier replacing it FOC or at cost price?

Chris

7A1D865A-FA9E-4D7C-99F7-C2AEAD198EE9.jpg

203DBBEC-4993-4FAA-B391-BD3106D08C5E.jpg

7293D857-64BA-4C79-B798-2F9FF6CA8D9D.jpg

AD813043-ED05-4911-AF48-2A05DFF5AD4D.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

That machine has had a lot of use with little cleaning, looks like side anvil is well worn and appears to be welded in.

Reasons for fan break up usually foreign material been put through, wrong torque on the bolts or flywheel not cleaned back before replacing fan sections. Look for @Dean Lofthouses thread on this topic.

Those cast  aluminium fins used to lose bits a lot, the problem can lie when you don’t realise it, not notice the extra vibration, different noise etc. Goes on for months and it causes other issues.

Mine lost a bit off the fin a couple of years after I bought it, then again over here 5 years later.

As Swinny says I thought they’d made an improved aftermarket replacement.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

Timberwolf fitted Steel Fins to my 150 a few years ago, it was an upgrade that they made for 150's. It might be worth contacting them and seeing if it's still available. It was 4 bits of angle iron bolted on to the flywheel, it was way more efficient than the cast fans. I think I have a thread on here from about 2014 or 15 about it if you search.

10 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Timberwolf fitted Steel Fins to my 150 a few years ago, it was an upgrade that they made for 150's. It might be worth contacting them and seeing if it's still available. It was 4 bits of angle iron bolted on to the flywheel, it was way more efficient than the cast fans. I think I have a thread on here from about 2014 or 15 about it if you search.

Would be good to know as it is a week point on this machine. 

Only ever seen aluminium ones. 

10 hours ago, cjdg said:

Question 3. How do I pull out the bearing on the main frame steel plate shown in the photo with the bearing puller which only fits on two of the three sides? What am I missing here?

Don't know anything about chippers but could it be that there's a tool for pulling the plate that attaches on to the 2 studs and has a jacking bolt in the centre.

In any case from the photo I'd clean the end of the shaft with emery and lube before trying and unless it moves easily apply some heat.

Or just a 2 leg puller if that would go on.