Injuries that have made you retire

Cob-logging

I nicked my wrist with my 020 a few years ago. Cut a couple of tendons to my thumb. I had surgery, should have been off work for a minimum of 6 weeks and no gripping for 12 weeks. I was back climbing after 2 weeks. But the tendons I cut pulled my thumb away from my palm, not towards it. So I don't think my grip was ever at risk. I still have some numbness and a little stiffness. Its not affected by the cold. Most of the time I forget it ever happened.

1D3927B7-F903-46DA-83BE-289915BA16EA.thumb.jpeg.cf633fb47e3bd33382b4044b8c53fb70.jpegF582FE7C-D0C4-48B6-AEA0-344681F06502.thumb.jpeg.78cc0620daa142efc5f70f0cde6be85b.jpegB7B99A4B-15AA-4EBC-BA54-8781E47F4042.thumb.jpeg.861e60559dc86acb5dada7c596e5fe78.jpeg751CDC17-74F0-43CB-93C1-7617A9E201AC.thumb.jpeg.f0e4513dcfdc0ac2e7e14ff98bc0b50a.jpeg

• Like 5

Ahh mate I feel your pain. I had an incident with some hedge cutters back in 2016 where I was putting them in the van at the end of the day and that caught on something and the sheath came off and my hand went along the blade.
I severed tendons, cut all my nerves to my index finger and chipped the bone. Doctors stitched the tendons and nerves but only a few of the nerves took so I still have no feeling along the outside of my index finger unless it’s cold and then it’s just effing painful.
I was off the ropes for about 6 weeks but have fully recovered now and hardly have any issues, I had to do a lot of physio for my tendons and I have to be carful I don’t cut that side of my finger as I wouldn’t feel a thing but other than that all good now.
I always find it amazing how well the body can heal.
Hope you recover fully and quickly mate.
IMG_1649356359.513652.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah dont know if you guys remember me falling off a ladder in my yard about 4yrs ago now broke and dislocated my ankle and broke my wrist 3 months non weight bearing 3 months in an air boot my surgeon said life changing accident was in work in my wheelchair  back at work after 8/9 months surgeon was amazed that I could even walk ok let alone back to work ,it can be amazing how we can heal .

• Like 3

Yeah dont know if you guys remember me falling off a ladder in my yard about 4yrs ago now broke and dislocated my ankle and broke my wrist 3 months non weight bearing 3 months in an air boot my surgeon said life changing accident was in work in my wheelchair  back at work after 8/9 months surgeon was amazed that I could even walk ok let alone back to work ,it can be amazing how we can heal .
I remember that mark, didn't the landlord of your yard demand back pay of rent arrears immediately after you got back to work or something ?

Amazing what your body can recover from. Had a shotgun breach explode on me when I was 17 or so. Took off most of the flesh from my right hand thumb. Bone sticking out with a flap of gristle back over my wrist. Doesn’t look too bad nowadaysIMG_1649523798.384194.jpg

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Amazing what your body can recover from. Had a shotgun breach explode on me when I was 17 or so. Took off most of the flesh from my right hand thumb. Bone sticking out with a flap of gristle back over my wrist. Doesn’t look too bad nowadaysIMG_1649523798.384194.jpg

I had a mate ( don't see him any more , time and that ) who had a Winchester 101 . It was so shot out it used to fall open . I think he had a milk bottle top as a piece of shim on the action pivot ! It blew open one day when he fired at some clays . It did not injure him in the way yours did but it affected his balance for a long time after . It was like he was drunk all the time . Damage to the eustachian tube in his ear .