Stihl communication?

Old Mill Tree Care

Will these ProCom work in conjunction with Sena Bluetooth?
My thought is to buy a ProCom each time a Sena breaks, so I end up with ProComs only.
One of the damn Sena is goosed and two more are dodgy[emoji849].
That's exactly what I've been thinking as ours are getting on a bit and sick of knocking them off the mounts all the time or using a zip tie.

The blurb says they use mesh technology to connect, which certain higher end Sena ones use too. You’d like to think they could connect, but the older models you run John might not work. 

£399 rrp (not sure if that’s ex or inc vat) so you’d almost get two sets of the all singing all dancing Sena for that. Bear in mind I got the 50S and have had a few battery issues with it, but Sports Bike Shop were very good and helped.

I’m liking the look of these very much having become very adept at lashing up comms on pretty much every project I go on now.

The current weapons of choice are the Senna 20s which have proved a worthy upgrade to the 10s, especially in terms of the units actually latching onto the base securely, and none ever having fallen off.

They do pair pretty easy if you’re just using two, provide very clear comms and integrates well with my i phone.

Downside is the general lash up of an arrangement required to fit them onto guys helmets on site, I’ve become a bit of a master at it now and something perfectly workable is easily achievable.

The one downside of the Senna for me is sometimes you get caught if the guy you’re working with gets really stuck in with the saw and you’re not expecting it, can be seriously loud!

The others I use are the full Rail type Dect Comm headsets, but with one side having openings to allow normal levels of ambient noise.

These are heavy cumbersome things for a shift in comparison, and guys on the ground don’t like them if they’re running a chipper or the like, because you’re not getting full ear protection.

I’m liking the idea of the ProCom if it really could be as simple as clicking one onto guys existing helmets (possibly needing adaptors for some) and be ready to go.

The ambient noise feature is the bit I’m most interested in myself, as I’d happily wear the headset in the machine without needing a helmet if it really can convey normal sound, as it’s essential to hear the machine.

In theory if they’ll click onto most available helmets, and the headsets units can convey normal sound with this ambient feature, then for me they’ve probably cracked it.

Very interested to give them a try, as good comms really are essential around machines these days.

Eddie.

10 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

The one downside of the Senna for me is sometimes you get caught if the guy you’re working with gets really stuck in with the saw and you’re not expecting it, can be seriously loud!

The stihl ones solve that problem with the ambient noise feature 

4 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

The stihl ones solve that problem with the ambient noise feature 

Yes that was the hope Steve, it’s getting a good balance of ambient noise feedback from the machine that’s important for me, and if they can eliminate the noise spikes that occur it’ll be brilliant.

I need to ascertain just how wide a range of helmets they fit as it’s something I’m not familiar with.

I just get a range of the sweaty horrors launched through the van window, with expectations of fully working comms being provided in minutes!

Hi all, I just received a pair of the Stihl ProCOM. I can confirm that they do connect with other Sena devices with Mesh 2.0 capability (30k, 50s, TuffTalk M, +Mesh, MeshPort Blue, MeshPort Red). This is because the Stihl ProCOM headset is built on the Sena Mesh Module.

I’ve been following the development of Bluetooth communication devices that can be used for arb work over the years and I think this is the best product that has been released so far. Especially for companies employing staff as it’s the first Bluetooth communication device that is fully compliant for arb work (including chipper noise).

Here are some of the criteria that I have been looking for in an arb communication system:

Chipper spec ear defenders

Does not require PPE to be modified

Sound produced by the internal speakers is limited to 82dB

Ease of pairing with other crew members

Microphone can be muted

Communication isn’t interrupted if someone goes out of range

Durable cables

Durable charging port

Internal or slimline antenna

Affordable price

The Stihl ProCOM meets all these criteria that I have been looking for except for affordable price. Hopefully in the not too distant future products like this will come down in price. The fact that both Sena and Cardo have made their Mesh modules available for other companies to incorporate them in products makes me hopeful that this will create a good amount of competition in this market and drive prices for these devices down.

Some of the new products being released that incorporate the Cardo Crew Pro-1 mesh module are:

Sordin Share (unfortunately not chipper spec and almost twice the price of ProCOM)

JSP Sonnis Comms (long antenna, not sure of price yet)

Cardo Crew Comm-Set (long antenna, not sure if chipper spec and not sure of price yet)

Hope this info is useful to some people.

Regards

James Armstrong (Arborist/Tech Nerd😅)

0DCF936D-80F5-47D6-8654-7D112674B6BC.jpeg

41EFBCF5-CD2A-4A87-A0E8-AD9F6CED9119.jpeg

B1007BFC-B9E3-4346-A607-BC3B3765047C.png

18B1E306-0326-4632-9684-5D40D5D7BA92.jpeg

4A548F3D-5FA2-43CD-A44B-0C1345937B72.png

• Like 4