Rope wrench tether

Interested in views on why this set up could be dangerous or shouldn't be used (other than the not ce marked/approved by...etc). I've been using SRT since the mark 1 rope wrench 10 years ago. I've found this set up really useful and particularly on the new improved (😁) two rope climbing . The friction can be so variable on two ropes that this set up allows for easy quick removal of RW or use it to pull the hitch down, either SRT or MRT . The ONLY issue I have found is you sometimes need to ensure the RW is engaged as the distance from friction hitch to RW is short but this is never a real safety issue - it's not like you suddenly plummet - you notice it and adjust. (The tether itself is stiff , but obviously there is swivel at krab attachment,  in the picture the system hasn't been loaded so when loaded hitch is further from pulley)

If anyone knows k.bingham's view it'd be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG20220325121857.jpg

Edited by jarborist

Khriss, I agree - I've just had a few people talking about giving it a go,so much as I'm happy on it I wanted to see if I'm missing something - at least for their sake.

Rich - I think that's the point I can't find the old video warning of what  the issue was with the soft tether. Only reference I can find is it getting caught in the wrench which isn't an issue here.

53 minutes ago, jarborist said:

You're dead right mark. My mistake - note to self - must spend more , must not try anything other than what I'm told to do,  - close shave there.

Stop being an arse.

There are much better systems out there, for not a lot of money.

Your set up will work, but it’s nowhere near as efficient as it could be.

Your life mate, you crack on as you see fit, I don’t sell the expensive stuff.

Ask Khriss for for a pic of his set up, he obviously knows it all.

Ignore @Rich Rule, he’s only a cutting edge, forward thinking freelance climber with a couple of decades under his harness.

What could he possibly know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark.  

Certainly didn't mean to be rude to Rich - I was trying to remember/asking what the issues were with a soft tether.

With your post I thought you were joking. You're not.

Now you've called my set up shit and me an arse, getting back on track I'm  interested why you think it's 'inefficient ' and why other set ups are ' much better ' . That's what I'm trying to work out, but also if it has any safety issues.

It looks to me as though you are using the middle hole in your hitch climberA s because thats the only place attaching it will work at that length tether?

You also have 3 articulation points on that RW tether instead of 2 . Thats going to mean its a bit floppy.

You could try getting a regular soft sling and folding it over repeatedly untill you achieved a length you desired. Then wrap it a few times in duct tape  to hold it together. See how well it works and then when you have settled on your preffered length just heat shrink the whole lot.

A stiff tether tuned into your style of climbing really gets the most from a RW. Running one above a Zigzag elevates you into the Arborist Master Race, a prestigious circle of secretive Climbers who dwell in the canopy sustained only by Red Bull and nicotine. On a still night in the deep forest it is said you can hear their cries of ectascy as the glide almost weighless around the bows of their abode.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2