Wood Burner Back Boiler

Hi everyone

I’m after some advice on how best to fit a back boiler to my wood burner. I have the correct back boiler for the stove and it’s rated at 1.8kw 6145 BTUs.

I’m fairly certain I can’t connect it to my exiting heating system so I’m thinking of adding a small vented system fed by the stove. The questions I have are:

1. When sizing the system, should I be using the KW or BTU to size radiators?

2. Is it possible to fit without a pump?

3. Any drawbacks or things to watch out for?

Many thanks

I think my Esse Ironheart puts out 2.8-3kw to the boiler. The manual states it’s not recommended to run radiators off of it, just the Hotwater tank and one radiator as an excess heat dump. Not sure how many radiators you’re planning on running off of 1.8kw but I’d not expect much.

I heat a 280 litre cylinder from my Esse (and one wee radiator) and its gravity fed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisdisco said:

Hi everyone

I’m after some advice on how best to fit a back boiler to my wood burner. I have the correct back boiler for the stove and it’s rated at 1.8kw 6145 BTUs.

I’m fairly certain I can’t connect it to my exiting heating system so I’m thinking of adding a small vented system fed by the stove. The questions I have are:

1. When sizing the system, should I be using the KW or BTU to size radiators?

2. Is it possible to fit without a pump?

3. Any drawbacks or things to watch out for?

Many thanks

I think you are saying you want to install a totally separate set of rads powered by your woodburner.

In which case this is what I have done, and mine is a decent size stove and heats the whole house. 

I guess you can use whichever units you wish.

You could fit it without a pump, as long as gravity will provide some circulation, but this will only work to a limited extent for rads above the woodburner.

Maybe a few things to watch out for - you will need to allow for the system accidentally boiling and spec it out accordingly (expansion tank made of metal for example).  

You should probably get some expert advice.  I would say that although my system works well in my situation a simple freestanding woodburner is a much simpler proposition than one with a back boiler.  I am not saying don't do it, but find out lots first, and then decide if you wish to comply with all the rules and regs.

I'm not convinced fitting a backboiler that small is a worthwhile operation. 

It amounts to a 500x100cm twin panel radiators worth and don't forget it reduces the heat given to the room from the stove itself. The fire isn't going to give enough heat out to do either the room or the rad imo. You would be better making a hole in the ceiling and letting the heat rise.

• Like 5

Thanks for all your reply’s, I thought this would be a good place to start gathering information and find out what I need to know.

So the idea I’m working on a completely separate gravity fed system. The stove itself is 5kw and the boiler is 1.8kw. I would like to try and get some of this heat upstairs. I was a bit concerned it might make the lounge colder with a back boiler fitted.

Unfortunately the main bedroom is above the lounge where the wood burner is. Reading up on the internet, it advises not to put a hole through as the chance of room fire is higher in the lounge and smoke could go into the bedroom. I don’t know what people thoughts are on this of a smoke alarm was fitted? 

12 hours ago, MattyF said:

Have you seen what's available ? Thanks to new government regs your choices are limited at the least !

Nonexistant at present,   not aware of any boiler stove that meets the 2022 emissions regs.

A

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

Nonexistant at present,   not aware of any boiler stove that meets the 2022 emissions regs.

A

The Dunsley Yorkshire would easily meet the 2022 specs using the okofen chimney but you will be out of luck as Dunsley stopped producing it rather than go through the retesting required.