Aerial tree work question

KateH

Is there an aerial arb work age cut off?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. At what age does being a climbing arborist for a living lose its shine?

• In your 20s
    • In your 30s
    • In your 40s
    • In your 50s
    • In you 60s
    • Never!

3 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

The most important thing is to carry on buying 32” waist chainsaw trousers, no matter how massive your belly gets.

A visit to any of the shows will back this up.

I filled in a BMI health questionnaire for the doctors the other day. Apparently I'm overweight, need to do more exercise, and my waist being 40" means I'm at very high risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.

I should buy those 32" trousers to make me healthy again.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jarborist said:

I'm thinking the results may get a bit skewed as I know of plenty of knackered climbers who left the industry in their 20's and 30's and they won't be hanging around sites like this anymore - they've grown up and moved on .😁😁

But there are many climbers who are stubborn.  Let’s face it, we all are to some extent.  You have to be stubborn or deranged to get up a tree in the wind and rain and finish a job.

The point I am trying to make is there are many climbers who have ruined themselves and their own stubborness hasn’t helped them.

”Prussis works fine, don’t need the mechanicals.”

“Been on a Blake’s for 15 years, my elbows are screwed”

We all know the type.  The industry has advanced in equipment and techniques.  There is no need to be screwed by 40 years old these days.  Use your brain and ditch the Prussic/Blake’s, body thrusting etc.

There is some thing out there for everyone.

BTW in answer to the original question I am 48.  Still climbing, had a couple of injuries the last year.  Not tree climbing related .  So when fully fit will be contract climbing and my own work 5 days a week.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

But there are many climbers who are stubborn.  Let’s face it, we all are to some extent.  You have to be stubborn or deranged to get up a tree in the wind and rain and finish a job.

The point I am trying to make is there are many climbers who have ruined themselves and their own stubborness hasn’t helped them.

We all know the type.  The industry has advanced in equipment and techniques.  There is no need to be screwed by 40 years old these days.  Use your brain and ditch the Prussic/Blake’s, body thrusting etc.

BTW in answer to the original question I am 48.  Still climbing, had a couple of injuries the last year.  Not tree climbing related .  So when fully fit will be contract climbing and my own work 5 days a week.

How old were you when you first got into tree work? The longer you do something the more refined you become. I started in my late twenties with a pretty good level of fitness and was pretty much invincible for a while. I'm way more aware of failing body parts at 45. I only climb for surveying these days though so it might be a case of use it or lose it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Some good replies already.

I still enjoy climbing, but that’s because I get to pick and choose.

BIG difference between that and climbing full time for someone else.

Thanks Mark 👍

22 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Thanks both for your answers. I'm learning a lot... there are some words I'll have to google there! 🤓 Kate

4 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

The most important thing is to carry on buying 32” waist chainsaw trousers, no matter how massive your belly gets.

A visit to any of the shows will back this up.

Nice! I'm yet to visit my first show but I'm sure I'll think of your reply when I do 😂 Kate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

Yeah I'm well on that track, but it does depend on what I'm doing.

Unfortunately I seem to get a lot of large reductions these days

Thanks Joe, I’m learning a lot 😊 Kate 

23 minutes ago, Mark J said:

How old were you when you first got into tree work? The longer you do something the more refined you become. I started in my late twenties with a pretty good level of fitness and was pretty much invincible for a while. I'm way more aware of failing body parts at 45. I only climb for surveying these days though so it might be a case of use it or lose it. 

Haha, just realised I was getting away with myself and gave myself another year.

I am 47 at the moment, 48 in September.  I have been climbing 20 years.  Started in 2002.  

Worked for a couple of companies to cut my teeth and went freelance after 2 years.  Did a stint at Greenwich Council as well, nearly didn’t make it out alive on that one.  

I would have slit my wrists if I had stayed much longer (Not literally).  So boring and unchallenging, it felt like a step back from the previous 18 months.

I will add though I was fairly fit in those days.

• Like 1